you are currently viewing: Discussion Forum


The Rorke's Drift VC Discussion Forum
(View Discussion Rules)


PLEASE NOTE: This forum is now inactive and is provided for reference purposes only. The live forum is available at

(Back To Topic List)

DateOriginal Topic
16th April 2005.303 Martini
By Carl Daeche
I am sure this will be quickly answered. I have seen a number of MH Carbines adapted for the 303. Does anyone know if you can keep one of these converted arms without a licence?

They seem to be excellent value in the USA.
16th April 2005Barry Iacoppi N.Z.
I take it Carl that you are in the U.K? If so I am 99% sure that the answer is no. I left the U.K. over 30 years ago for a number of reasons including their draconian and useless firearm laws. With the 577-45 cartridge having recently been declared obsolete in Europe the British have been allowed to own Martini Henry rifles (but not the ammunition) without a special license. However I doubt that you or I will ever live to see the .303 declared as obsolete in our life times. It is still being made commercially and large quantities of military surplus are still to be found.
I own a Martini Enfield Citadel in .303 (Martini Henrys were called Martini Enfields after they were rebarreled with the Enfield .303 barrel). It is a rifle and a very accurate one as well. I have owned and fired Martini Enfield carbines but have pruned them from my small collection for two reasons. 1/ They just don’t look as elegant as the full length rifle. 2/ I don’t enjoy shooting them. I find the recoil not to my liking.
16th April 2005Adrian Whiting

Just to confirm Barry is right. The Firearms Consultative Committee (when it existed) produced a list of chamberings which has broadly been accepted as indicating "obsolete" ones, for which ammunition is less than readily available. The .303" failed on both counts to be included.

There has been an interesting case in which a .22" rimfire was accepted as an antique, but I doubt the finding would be likely to apply to another .22" or to a 303". Accordingly you would need a firearm certificate.

You can have an FAC for collecting purposes, and hold such a rifle without ammunition.


16th April 2005Carl
Barry and Adrian ( I knew you would know),

Thanks a bunch for the info I thought this would be the case. looks like a FAC for me then.

All the best