rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
leightarrant

Funny that - I was just looking in a shop in the West end and came across the region 1 DVD, only last week, and remembered seeing it on TV many years ago, thought about buying it, but will wait for the region 2 version now. Another 'Jungle' type of film I like is the ' THE NAKED JUNGLE' Charlton Heston. Well worth a look. the first half of the film is basically a drama love story type thing, then the 'ants' take over in the 2nd half, and the film becomes quite gripping and horrific. great stuff....
mike snook 2

Yes I agree Leigh. 'Marabunta!' I think they call them. Possibly or possibly not spelt like that?! Super film.

It reminds me a bit of the Elephant's Walk film with Peter Finch - which may or may not be set in Ceylon - but likewise involves a love story and a colonial enterprise/estate going west.

Regards

Mike
Sheldon Hall

Leigh, you may be waiting a long time for a Region 2 edition. PREY is released by Criterion, which is strictly Region 0 (no regional encoding) but for sale only in America and on licensed premises (like The Cinema Shop in London, where you no doubt saw it). Unless Paramount has struck a deal for overseas release, the extras will probably be exclusive to the Criterion edition.
Rich

...I don't know about Cornell's exercise regimen but for a guy at his age (50's I think) he ran about pretty good in that film.... Wink
Haydn Jones

Rich

I think I'd run about "pretty good" as well with those guys chasing me Laughing !!!!

H
Coll

A pursuit film that I really liked, but set in the American West, was called 'Chato's Land', starring Charles Bronson.

As an addition, there were a couple of others of his movies that are worth watching -

Death Hunt

The White Buffalo

Red Sun

The second and third in the list are quite unusual. The first was based on a true story if I remember correctly.

Coll
Rich

just an fyi ..As Sheldon noted Prey is on Criterion. It's a great label but pricey because of not only the film but extras that usually get put on their releases. Here it's 40 bucks and not discounted. Guess it would be what 20 pounds there then??
Sheldon Hall

Yes, Criterion discs are not cheap at full price, but a bit of web surfing should lead one to find discount sources. CD-Wow used to be the cheapest UK source for Criterion discs, but since it was prosecuted for circumventing import regs, suffered a heavy fine and changed ownership this may no longer be the case. Amazon and Play give access to market 'traders' with reasonable prices and some US sites offer good deals, eg, Deep Discount DVD. If you are only buying a single disc rather than a bulk order you should not suffer additional Customs import charges.
Sheldon Hall

Quick glances at the above-named websites show that PREY can be bought from CD Wow and Amazon.co.uk for just under �16 and at Deep Discount DVD for $26.35 (RRP $39.95).
Rich

Sheldon..hmmm....in my case being over here do you think I would save a bit? I'm just thinking of their shipping charge. I'd love to buy more Crit titles but I'd be in the street, you know?
Sheldon Hall

Rich, I'd have thought Deep Discount was the best option for you. They're generally the cheapest around, in my experience. And yes, if only I too could afford the full Criterion Collection...
Rich

thx Sheldon I may check them out to see if I could save a bit.. what can you do when you love films?.. Wink .
Sheldon Hall

Further to the above, the American website Movies Unlimited has a sale offer on Criterion DVDs - buy three, get one free. PREY is included in the offer, retailing at $33.99 for the individual disc. Lowest standard price for a Criterion on this site is $26.99.
Rich

Thx Sheldon and now a question on your forte...

A few years ago I know that I saw in Tower Records here (not sure if they were in the UK but they're a defunct store ow due to people not buying cd's anymore!) a Criterion laserdisc of "Zulu". Are you aware of that? I only note this because I figured that ocne they went to dvd then they would "transfer" what they had on the laserdisc to dvd. But they didn't do it. Technical problem? Rights problem? Now I figured if "Zulu" did get on the Criterion Collection then we'd all be getting a nice treat. They tend to rever films and make sure they get put out right.
Sheldon Hall

Rich, not only am I aware of Criterion's LD edition, I have it in my collection! (See the colour illustration of the cover in my book.) For a long while it was the best available US home video edition, even though there were no extras (but it did have the authentic stereo soundtrack). I believe it was the question of rights which prevented them bringing out a DVD when distribution was taken over (and copyright reasserted) by MGM, which reportedly declined to lease titles to other companies. Now the rights have passed on to Paramount, things may change, as Criterion has brought out a number of Paramount titles recently, including IF.... and - hey! - THE NAKED PREY. Fingers crossed...
Grandier?