rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
LOCAL GENERAL ORDERS, 1879 AZW
Peter Ewart

Among the welter of publications appearing this autumn (or spring for all you down there!) on the AZW, all of which I've enjoyed, I'm extremely pleased to have the latest arrival in my post: Keith Smith's "Local General Orders."

What a really good, solid & useful work of reference. Congratulations, Keith. It will very soon be taken for granted and referred to routinely as a starting point for many enquiries, but hopefully we shan't overlook the originality of your idea and the sheer slog that must have gone into it. Hopefully, you enjoyed all your travels while researching & compiling it!

I hadn't expected, also, to learn - for example - the arrangements for women & children travelling "on the strength." I'm not sure about the calulations for "two running feet for a woman & a child" (!!!) in an ordinary buck wagon of the colony, and was astonished to read that the army cooks were deemed to require instructions on the ingredients of toad-in-the-hole, of all dishes, but one lives and learns.

It won't be long before we wonder what we did before its appearance, as is always the case with indispensable compilations. Many thanks, Keith.

Peter
Keith Smith

Peter

Thank you for your kind words. It was, I must confess, a labour of love.
KIS
Andrew Bush

Keith,Peter,

How do I get a copy of "local General Orders"

Kind regards,

Andrewq

Andrew

It is published by DP&G Military Publishers, PO Box 186, Doncaster, South Yorks DN4 OHN. I'm not aware of any website they may have. They have in recent times become a fairly prolific publisher in the reprint field, including (especially?) those out-of-print titles of AZW interest, although Local General Orders is, of course, a new book not a reprint.

I can't rememebr the price of Keith's book as I'm looking at an old DP&G publications list, but I now notice it does say their publications are listed on this (rdvc) site too.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Peter,
check the 'Book Reviews' section on this site. DP&G are listed there with a list of their publications.

Alan
LOCAL GENERAL ORDERS, 1879 AZW