rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Haydn Jones

My Mother in Law has just given me a copy of "A Soldier-Artist in Zululand" for my Birthday. She had seen the review in The Times and "wondered" if I "might like one"! Laughing I couldn't believe it when I unwrapped my present although I did feel more than a touch Embarassed bearing in mind all the M in Law jokes I've made over the years. But there will be no more such jokes from me! Oh no, from now on I am going to be a model Son in Law. I'm even going to take down the garlic flowers from around my door. Thanks "Mum"xxx.

I'm no good at book reviews so I'll simply comment here if I may. This is a quality publication and beautifully presented. Quite stunning. Clearly a lot of careful thought and planning has gone into the project and all concerned are to be congratulated on the end result. A fitting and lasting tribute to Mr Rattray one feels, albeit so tragically premature.

H
Martin Everett

Hi All,

Review of David Rattray's book in the Daily Telegraph travel section by Justin Cartwright:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2007/04/28/etrattray128.xml

Rich

I just received my long-awaited book (Martin..thanks for letting me buy it the way I suggested). I have to say that among all my books on the AZW
this one takes pride of place. It's an impeccable book of South African history initially starting with the watercolors of Lloyd and the efforts of
many of you here who I know through this site. It's a great legacy of Mr. Rattray and all his work. As faras the RRW msueum I can see it on a book mount right as everybody goes in to "Zulu War" room! It's a book that doesn't belong on a shelf. Those watercolors need to be seen.

Martin:
I must say that my interest was really raised when I started to read that Lloyd was Irish, had his family home in Strancally and that he was in the Carlow Rifles. My wife you see is born and bred Irish and from Carlow town. Now after all he years is it possible to see where the 24th's barracks stood? Er...maybe it was off Tullow Street?? We'd like to pay a visit if possible when we go again next year. And same for the barracks at Kilkenny. Thanks.
Martin Everett

Dear Rich,

Thank you for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

The Carlow Rifles (Militia) had nothing to do with the 24th. Their headquarters were at Naas. I am not sure that the 24th were ever stationed there.

A soldier/artist
Robert John

While on a holiday recently in the U.K. I managed to spend an hour at the RRW Museum in Brecon and whilst there forked out the cash for the above book.
I can only reiterate what Haydn and Rich say ---the book is superb.
The paintings give you a feeling of being there and David Rattray,s text is superlative as one would expect from someone so knowledgeable.
If anyone is worried if it is worth forking out GBP100 for the book--certainly it is.
It is a book worthy of pride of place on any bookshelf.
Robert

Thanks Martin...My brother-in-law is pretty good with Carlow's history. We're going to explore the bit on the Rifles.
Btw, I read though "Escape in America-The British Convention Prisoners".
I have to say those British soldiers who surrenderd at Saratoga really had a bad time of it here especially after Congress here kind of changed the "rules" of the surrender when they stipulated that before the prisoners could ever be freed Britain had to ratify the Saratoga pact and recognize the sovereignity of the US. On the other hand, the "prisoners" drove Washington crazy who knew what they were up to when they enlisted in the American army. What a time.
AMB

Haydn,

Just read your last concerning your mother-in-law. I can offer the following:

A number of years ago, my said in-law was looking in a local second hand book shop and purchased a book for me on the AZW that she thought I might like: The History of the Zulu War by the Hon Andrew Wilmot. 1st Edn.

I knew I was lucky when I married my wife (and not only because she understands the LBW rule!).

AMB
Haydn Jones

AMB

Nice one! The LBW thing is a real bonus too! Personally, I struggle with explaining offside at the ruck ........... Confused !

Incidentally, I rather fancy it will be back to socks and hankies this year.....................

H
AMB

Socks and hankies are a very practical gift.....

AMB
Rich

Martin...

re: Strancally..where Whitelocke-LLoyd was from...to your knowledge is the castle/grounds available to visit? Thanks ahead.
Martin Everett

It is hard to find - last time I visited - September 2007 - it was full of workmen and construction vehicles - the site/house been bought by a millionaire who is turning it into his dream home and not open to the public. Suggest you visit Cork and St Fin Barre's Cathedral - Coghill and Melvill commemorated there, and Castletownsend - further down into Co Cork - where Coghill family vault is and WW Lloyd's wife is buried. Also 2-24/1527 Pte Michael Mineham, RD defender, is buried in Castlehaven cemetery near by - headstone in good order!

Rich

For some reason, I had a hunch that it wasn't to be. But I certainly will file and plan for those other sites you noted for next year in Carlow.......(big family get-together of the clans!) ..thanks
peterw

Just to resurrect this thread I finally got around to obtaining a copy. Mine is from the library of Mike McCabe, whose books were sold over the summer. Mike was one of the original subscribers and poignantly there is still a bookmark in one of the pages. I haven't had the heart to move it.

I reiterate what everyone else has said. It's a superb book, beautifully written, photographed and presented. I don't have an artistic bone in my body but it was interesting to contrast the style of this and Crealock's "Road to Ulundi."

Definitely worth getting.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Peter, is the book holding its price?

I bought a few titles and paid a lump sum, probably equivalent to about half the (new) retail price since all were second-hand/used.

Peter
A Soldier Artist in Zululand