rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Mike - Do You Think You Might Write An Autobiography ?
Coll

Mike

As you know I'm studying leaders, officers, loyalty of men, discipline, etc., etc., the AZW, as well as other areas of military history.

It just struck me, that you must know all of these aspects, including having a successful career in the military, and being a well-known author.

Any chance of you writing an autobiography in the future, as your life does cover all these areas ?

It would make interesting reading.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

You are too kind, my friend, but no, I don't think I would be inclined to do that. Who would read it apart from my mother!! I think it is for great generals, or VC winners, and such like, to hold forth in an autobiographical work, but ordinary Lt Cols 'of the line'? Well - they might write the odd history book, but in the end, who cares what they think?! Actually I think I would rather read the autobiography of some of the private soldiers I have had the privilege to command over the years, than my own life-story. I am sure their lives, views and personal philosophy would make far more interesting reading than anything I could come up with.

As ever

Mike
The Scorer

mike snook 2 wrote:
Coll

Actually I think I would rather read the autobiography of some of the private soldiers I have had the privilege to command over the years, than my own life-story. I am sure their lives, views and personal philosophy would make far more interesting reading than anything I could come up with.

That's an interesting thought, I think. There have been books on "Forgotten Voices" of many eras, but mostly I think written after the fact.

Anyone want a book "edited by Mike Snook"??

Very Happy
Rich

heh heh strike a sale in North America for that one...and come to think of it Mike why not?

Command is a two-way street isn't it? If you had the privilege of commanding soldiers they've had the privilege of serving under you and no doubt there's been alot of how shall we say it? transference going on in that relationship. Might be something there to put forth since it encompasses much with meaning for those who work together to pursue a goal. I'd let that swirl in yer head Mike and let it percolate....
AMB

Coll and Rich,

Heck, with all these ideas, young Snooks would have to give up the day job! Having had the pleasure of serving along side Colonel Mike on operations, I think the 'firm' can get a bit more out of him yet before he hangs up the revolver and swagger stick.....

Also, he's far to young for an autobiography quite yet!

Mind you, one day......

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

Goodness me! All these compliments. I hope they don't go to his head.

Alan

I fancy you might be reincarnated from one of those slaves whose job it was to walk behind the Roman general's chariot (when the Senate had awarded him a 'triumph') whispering in his ear 'Remember thou art mortal, general'?

Fear not. Not only would my mother be the only customer, but the last person on the planet to sign up to an autobigraphy would be my publisher. But it was nice of some thoughtful, polite people to express an interest, (unlike our insensitive but esteemed host)!!

Very Happy

As ever

M
Rich

heh heh Alan the ole curmudgeon.. Cool...like Hotspur commenting on all the praise going to Hal!....

"Worse than the sun in March
This praise doth nourish agues!!!!"......Henry IV Part One........ Wink
CS Bourne

Be quiet now will you, there's good gentlemen.

On the other hand, how about a modern history of the Regiment, from the early days of each part to the current Royal Welsh Regiment .... ?

Very Happy
Martin Everett

There is concise history currently being prepared. It should be published in the next two months - watch this space. The name of the regiment is 'THE ROYAL Welsh' - no regiment.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total

mike snook 2

But not half in lower case and half in upper case either Martin!!
Martin Everett

Mike,

Not my fault - but a bug in the software.

The Scorer

Thank you gentlemen ... as ever, I acknowledge advice from better qualified (and knowledgeable) people!!

Very Happy
Mike - Do You Think You Might Write An Autobiography ?