rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'Bearing the Cross'
Dave Colbourne

On Thursday 13th March there's a radio play on Radio 4 at 2.15pm. called 'Bearing the Cross'; the write up describes it as follows:

"Veterans of the Battle of Rorke's Drift meet up, 19 years after the event, for the unveiling of a memorial to the Zulu War. They share their memories, talk about their lives frter the battle, and reassess their heroic stand." The play is written by Peter Blakeson, and may be worth a listen.
Rich

thanks Dave...and you're probably happy that your boys knocked off Chelski, eh?????...Wink...I suppose everybody got a day off!.....Good game..I watched it....
Dave Colbourne

Thanks Rich, yes, good game, Barnsley was rocking and rolling on Saturday night! Just Cardiff City to beat and then it's the final - first time since 1912 Very Happy We're going to Wemberley!!!
Haydn Jones

Apologies - storm damage to telephone lines prevented my posting this link earlier! http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/afternoonplay_thu where you may be able to listen under the "Listen Again" feature.

H
John Young

Interesting spin on events, but how did they arrive at St. Valentine's Day rather than St. Vincent's Day?

John Y.
Simon Rosbottom

An interesting play if you haven't heard it. Listen now before Thursday when they will probably change the link.

I was just listening and was wondering about the date on the medal too.

The writer does give Dalton credit for organising the defence, discusses the cover-up conspiracy theory, the killing of the wounded and the stress the men suffered later so his research clearly went beyond just watching "Zulu!" Well done.

Oddly, the publican is as jealous as Sid Perks, the landlord of The Bull in the Archers...... and gets himself into about as much trouble!

Regards

With respect to John Young's post:

What is "St. Vincent's Day?" I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this site. Why is the day important?

Thank you,

Barbara
John Young

Barbara,

In the Roman Catholic calendar the 22nd of January is the feast day of Saint Vincent of Saragossa.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_of_Saragossa

John Y.
'Bearing the Cross'