rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Rich

The idea of wargaming various scenarios at Isandlwana was raised in the old forum, on trying out possibilties suggested by contributors.

To be able to use a computer battle simulation to do this task was also mentioned. Although, as pointed out in the old forum it wouldn't be an exact science. Interesting though.

A couple of suggestions included moving the whole British force (Durnford's and Pulleine's) about a mile out from the camp and form square, ammunition, etc., in the centre. Another mentioned a square being formed in the nek/saddle. The stony koppie at the nek was mentioned about being used for the 2 cannons. As well as Durnford's mounted force, possibly the Volunteers also, using their mobility to harry the Horns.

Certainly several scenarios could be created in a What If ? situation, and would be interesting to see the results. Again, not an exact science, but definitely worth attempting.

The few I'd like to try is Durnford's force joining the firing line to the right of Pope, rather than the gap between G. Company and the donga. Also, I'd see if Durnford's force, if they had remained in the donga, could have delayed the Left Horn in any way by staying where they were, rather than the situation which had Durnford leaving the donga through lack of ammunition and being outflanked, his force not having enough 'weight' to hold back a significant Zulu assault on the position. Lastly, Durnford holding the location as long as possible, before repeating the manouevre he had done previously with the 2 Troops of N.N.H. and conduct a fighting withdrawal, possibly towards Pope's right.

The possibilities are endless. The idea that a computer strategy simulation may eventually become available to test these theories would be great.

AZW-related battle simulations and FPS games, especially of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, would be brilliant.

Coll
waterloo style
Tom516

Ah, for battles like that, a grand tactical Waterloo style simulation would work the best. Waterloo is a wonderful simulation unfortunately you are limited to the time period. However there's another game, Take Command Bull Run and the sequel 2nd Manassas, that's set comfortably in this later time period and it may be modifiable.

We can run simulations in RTW BI though, as I said before, in the case of Isandhlwana or other big battles, some scaling will be involved.

An RTS would probably be more situational. Don't know if you'd like to play British soldiers at Isandhlwana with no hope of escape but small scenarios like that are doable. If I can find my old Zulu War mod for Rogue Spear Urban Operations (the original is RS, the addon packs are Urban Ops and Covert Ops) I'll send it to you guys if you'd like.

Best wishes!

Coll

Tom

Regarding the Waterloo strategy game and the time limit. I just tend to keep going back to the scenario when the 'clock' runs out.

The other 2 games you mention - Take Command Bull Run and the sequel 2nd Manassas, are the graphics and playability similar to Waterloo or RTW ?

Personally, I think any scenario that can be created for a larger scale simulation (RTW) or smaller scale, including FPS, based on the AZW, would be interesting. At least to see what can be achieved when covering the AZW in such games.

Coll
Peter
Site Admin

So, I ordered R:TW today from play.com - should be interesting!!

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=PC&title=880173

Peter
Coll

Peter

I've just been reading about Medieval: Total War 2, along with seeing a few of the screenshots. If a large scale AZW battle is like this, as well as with RTW, having hundreds of figures on the screen, even on a computer you'll hear the Zulu army before you see it ..... like a train ..... in the distance !

Coll
like a train...
Tom516

He he... that's the idea! It's been a longstanding 'tradition' in the Total War series that you can get some inkling of the enemy before seeing them. In Shogun and Medieval it was birds emerging from the trees. Here in Rome it's clouds of smoke in the distance.

Coll

Tom

I like the idea of the enemy heading towards you from far off, especially if a computer strategy simulation based on Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, rather than starting the game and immediately seeing both armies directly opposite each other, waiting to be activated by the player(s).

Coll
the only way to go
Tom516

Especially if you've got an FPS and doubly so for a colonial African war. The Euros have the long range guns and the only way to trump that is by the unexpected or ambush.

Michael Boyle

I came across this interesting piece of a MOD using "Rise of Nations" (starts slowly with skirmishers but by the end looks rather intriguing!) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDwfJGsQC3I&feature=related

Any one interested interested in RTS computer games (and owning a copy of "Rise of Nations") this is an Isandhlwana specific MOD available for free download -

http://ron.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=583&f=2

MAB
Broadening The Category?