rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Advice Please
PRS

This is another one of my requests for asssistance.

I have purchased from UNISA a copy "Lord Chelmsford -- British General in southern Africa 1878-1879".

The thesis has arrived with me but unfortunately it is in micro-fiche format. This means each page is the size of a postage stamp !!

I have no idea whatsoever how to get the pages to a readable and printable size.

All suggestions and advice gratefully received please.
Thanks
Regards
PRS

PRS

I missed out on such an item of Droogleever's Col. Durnford thesis.

If you look at the topic in this Book Section titled 'Can Anyone Give Any More Information About R.W.F. Droogleever', I think some details were supplied about getting it seen or printed.

Coll
Sawubona

If you or anyone you know has a scanner, most of those have the capability and some have the necessary adapters to scan film media (typically older "slides"), both positive and negative. If you do have a scanner, but don't have an adapter, there are a couple of sites I recall on the internet that describe and illustrate how to make one yourself. Typically they just shine a light through the film onto the scanner bed, but be careful of heat if you're making it up as you go! I imagine if you scanned the micro-fiche at a fairly high resolution and then "blew it up" with a photo program like Photoshop you could read it just fine on your screen and even print it out. These adapters aren't something unusual or rare-I've got at least three knocking about from old, dead scanners and also a dedicated film scanner, so if you ask about I'm sure you'll come up with one among your acquaintances.
Keith Smith

PRS

It took me about three hours to photocopy the pesky thing in Pretoria a couple of years ago but it was very much worth while. Do persevere in trying to get it printed. You may find a library or university which has a reader/printer but beware - it is 392 pages long!

KIS
Damian O'Connor

If this is the one by Matthews: J. Matthews, 'Lord Chelmsford: British General in Southern Africa 1878-79', (Unpub D.Litt Thesis. University of South Africa, 1986), then you should be able to get it through an inter-library loan if you know any friendly academics.
Damian
PRS

Thanks to all for your comments.

Have discovered a local library with a micro-fiche reader.
Will try there, but over the phone they tell me they don't print outside files.
Will see what happens