rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Martin

I sort of understand your confusion. I'll try to answer.

Firstly, no my opinion of Col. Durnford was/is not influenced by Zulu Dawn.

I was reading about the Zulu War long before I obtained my first VHS copy of Zulu Dawn. My memories of Zulu Dawn were vague at least, and at that time I was more interested in Rorke's Drift. It took me ages to understand how the battle at Isandlwana went, but there were aspects that caught my attention.

Unfortunately, knowing no-one interested in the Zulu War at that time, I made up my own mind, without any influence from films, books or fellow enthusiasts.

When I joined the forum, my first post was about a statue of Col. Durnford, but was surprised to hear that not all were in agreement with myself, regarding my admiration of him, never mind the issue of him being a scapegoat.

It was then I realised there was more to the story, and having read many books, I'm still convinced with my own concusions.

Nothing to do with Zulu Dawn, TWOTS, HCMDB, ZV1.

Coll
Coll

Secondly, when the subject of Zulu Dawn is raised, even when I'm trying to talk about a remake, or reimagined script, Burt Lancaster's portrayal appears to always get mentioned and so becomes, the main fault with the film, which I try to avoid, as people may come to be confused with my postings, as you are.

I want to talk about a better version, a new version, CGI inclusion, modern actors, what's needed in the script, etc.

Also, heroes, not just Col. D., but all at Isandlwana, need to be raised to a higher level on the big screen, for people to take notice, hence my comparisons of Zulu Dawn against films like '300', which may not be the best representation of that specific battle, but more the filming techniques.

However, all these details get lost in the same boring criticism of Lancaster, when that it the very thing, one of many, I don't wish to discuss, as it lowers the tone of the topic to ridicule, when I am personally very interested in both the Zulu War (Isandlwana in particular) and the writing and filming of movies.

I hope this convinces you that I'm not blinded by what I see on screen, compared to the real deal.

Best

Coll
Coll

In answer to the liking of Col. D., it is impossible to say, having never met him.

I gather from books, he was amiable enough to talk to, good at his job as an engineer, but at the same time could be difficult, if his views were questioned, or his actions criticised. Much like all the rest of us.

Heroes, or those thought to be heroes, don't have to be likeable, but men who do what is expected of them. Their duty.

What is the phrase, if there is one, about men who want to get the job done to their best ability, nothing to do with friendship.

Is there not also a saying that being a leader can be a very lonely job ?

Coll
Coll

I don't know if this is possible, but I'm curious.

Is there a facility, photoshop(?), or something similar, which would allow a still from Zulu Dawn to be toned (coloured) the same way as in 300, (the sky effects, etc.) to get a (very) rough idea what it would look like, if it had been filmed that way ?

Thankyou

Coll
GlennWade

Hi Coll,

You may be interested to know that Lancaster seems to have carried out some research into Durnford himself prior to taking the role. There is an interview on a DVD of Zulu Dawn cut material I obtained recently and this included an interview with Lancaster. He mentioned that he'd read TWOTS and was impressed by Durnford's bravery (Or recklessness, don't shoot the messenger guys!) under fire and the love he apparently inspired in his native troops. I'd be happy, after my first year exams, to jot down what he says for you as your loyalty to him does seem to warrant me spending 10 mins with a pen and paper!

There is also a quick shot of a scene that was cut showing Durnford unjamming carbines at the donga. Seems that the production let Burt down. Accents, well, Dick Van Dyke's was awful but millions still watch Mary Poppins!

Cheers,

Glenn

Glenn

May I ask where you obtained the dvd of Zulu Dawn cut material ?

Is it available to buy ?

Sounds like it might be interesting.

Thankyou

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,

I've reactivated an advert in the marketplace on this site which has Out takes from Zulu Dawn. Have a look there.

Alan

Thankyou.

It looks like it might be worth obtaining.

Coll
Obtaining The Rights To The Zulu Dawn Film ?