rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
3D views.
Mel

Hi All,
........ and now for something completely different.
I'm wondering if you are aware of the website "Google Earth"?
You can view the world as mapped by satellite photography. However, as you zoom down to ground level, you can tilt the view to display the terrain in 3D. You'll need a fairly modern PC and a broadband connection.
With a little practice you can navigate to most parts of the globe and "fly" around the terrain.
The 3D views of the Isandlwana, FD Trail are clearly defined. The views of Hlobane are excellent.

Site Admin

Hi Mel,

Indeed, I had a good look a while back at Isandhlwana.. Very interesting, espcially as you can get the terrain view. Should be an excellent tool for anyone interested in the topography... Smile

To download Google Earth, go to http://earth.google.com

Peter
Dawn

Mel and Peter
Well, you know us women are no good with maps so perhaps you can help me out.

I'm having difficulty locating Isandlwana and Hlobane on Google Earth. (I hear a collective groan.) Now I have a rough idea of where to head, having lived there and having studied the maps but when I fly in I'm lost. I found what the map called Oskarberg but when I fly over to where I think Isandlwana should be - nothing.

Do you think you could help me out and give me the coordinates? Please? Confused

Dawn
Mel

Dawn,
The co ordinates are:
Isandlwana
28deg, 21min, 10.72sec South
30deg, 39min, 27.49sec East

Hlobane
27deg, 42min, 40.93sec South
30deg, 56min, 27.97secs East

When you locate the areas you can mark and save them for future "visits".
Once you get the hang of trying different tilts and zooms, you can achieve some excellent views.

Mel
Thanks so much. I shall go in and take flight again. I'll let you know how I get on. I guess the coordinates could help others too. I have studied geography and navigation and was finding it hard! I shall have to practice.

Dawn
Smile
Michael Boyle

Mel, Thanks for the grid locs. (Hundreths of a sec.! Things sure have changed in the Nav biz.)

Dawn, don't sell yourself short, I "flew" in over Durban and not only missed Isandlwana but quite nearly re-discovered Livingstone. (If you come to this gigantic sandy area you've gone too far.) This from a former platoon sgt. as well as a former licesensed sailboat capt. (Granted that was back when 'aids to navigation' either floated and bonged or stood there and shined, if you weren't handy with a sextant, ephemeris and Bowditch you'd best stow enough provisions for a very long trip!) (Okay, I exaggerate, we did have RDF and Loran.)

Aside from that, I was wondering if the Thukela or other rivers in the area had changed course at all in the last 127 years. I know they're not the Mississippi nor are we dealing in geological time, still I have read that the dongas at Isandlwana are much deeper now and was curious if they could have changed course at all as well. Sometimes it doesn't take much human interaction (dams and other construction) to alter the course of waterways even without nature's help.

MAB
Dawn

Glad someone else had difficulty too.

The coordinates were a great help and I wasn't far off the first time but Isandlwana is not marked and doesn't look like we know it. More of a pimple on a patch of green. In contrast Hlobane is clearly marked and defined. It seems to be a bit of hit and miss depending on where you go, isolated areas having less detail than others.

I am looking forward to exploring other areas.

Dawn
PS I learnt Nav with a sextant, as I was told never to rely on GPS.
baztaylor

If anyone is interested, I have a small Excel worksheet that graphs the battlefield at Isandlwana as a 3D chart, allowing differing views to be obtained. It has a bit more definition than Google Earth, allowing things like the conical hill and the plateau to be seen more clearly. Should anyone want a copy please send an email to:

[email protected]

Cheers

Barry
3D views.