rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Buffs glengarry badge and locket buckle help needed.
NTaylor

I wonder if anyone has any photos or a description which they can share regarding the glengarry badge and locket buckle designs of the 3rd Foot East Kent Regiment The Buffs, during the AZW.

The glengarry badge I think may be similar to the 24th, but with the dragon in place of the shpynx and 3 in place of the 24. Am I correct?

Similarly, the locket buckle on the belt, a 3 in the centre with East Kent Regiment surrounding?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I have so far struggled to find a definative answer.

John Young

Nick,

The glengarry badge was a Garter Belt inscribed with the words THE BUFFS (as shown in upper case) on the top part of the belt under the Crown. In the centre was the dragon of Cadwallader over the number 3.

As to the o/r belt buckle I can't help, as none of the other-ranks images I have of the 3rd are wearing their belts.

I imagine the word 'Regiment' might have been abbreviated to Regt., as it was on the 24th's o/r buckle. Dragon made a mistake when they produced their version, as they copied a fake belt buckle, as did a few well-known military artists.

John Y.
NTaylor

Once again, many thanks John.

I've done a quick mock-up of the glengarry badge in photoshop:

Is that getting close?

What you say about the OR's locket buckle of the 24h is interesting; I never knew it had the abbreviation rather than the full word. Dragon spelled their version KEGIWENT in any case, as have a company called DID with their new 12" figure. In 1/6th scale, a hand sculpted locket buckle (which is what my Buffs figure will have) is rather hard to get spot on and entirely legible. The machines the likes of Dragon use can sculpt much crisper detail. As long as I can get something close I'll be happy.

The basic idea for the figure; The Buffs beseiged at Eshowe. This is only a rough 'sketch' and things like the locket buckle will be brass on the final figure.

Any comments or critisisms would be helpful regarding the kit or uniform.

John Young

Nick,

Yes the glengarry's just right.

I'll try and make some enquiries abouts the belt buckle and I'll let you know.

Like the figure - very nice.

John Y.
The Buffs glengarry badge and locket buckle help needed.