rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
OR's leather gaiters: a question
NTaylor

As a builder of 1/6th scale military figures, I've recently been customising the Dragon Models 24th Foot 'Sgt Jones'. I'm currently making some 1/6th scale black leather gaiters from leather and the question arises as to how many laces were actually involved. In my research I've found that there are some drawings which show three loops of laces holding them together (including those on the 'Thin Red Line' website for reenactors), and others show five loops. Indeed the moulded ones on the original Dragon figure show five, but since they have made a few errors on the figure I'm not convinced. This is a photo of some I have made using the five loops:

I wonder if anyone can shed more light on this for me?

Adrian Whiting

Nick,

The Diehards have based ours on an early example (though not original to the period) with four loops. The upper one being secured by the buckled strap.

NTaylor

Adrian, thank you for your reply. I hadn't realised that there was indeed an option for four loops. That's very interesting. I think I will go with that.

NTaylor

Another question: How tall were the gaiters? Reading the description on the Sutlers Store website, they say their reproduction gaiters are 11" tall. Were the originals this height too? If so, the gaiters I have made for my figures are 1cm too short, and I'll need to re-do them!

Any help greatly appreciated.

OR's leather gaiters: a question