rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
"Did the runner bring orders?"
Barbara Grant

A question asked of Bromhead by Chard in the film. However, the "runner(s)" appeared to be two horsemen from the column.

Is "runner" a generic term for "messenger," whether on foot or not? Curious.

Thank you,

Barbara
Michael Boyle

Hi Barbara

Although I can't for the life of me remember which thread it was in (relatively recently I think) but there was some discussion on the different aspects of job descriptions. However, the short answer is yes, a 'runner' carried messages and could be either mounted or on foot although they were, in the A-ZW, predominantly mounted.

As far as RD is concerned there are some accounts that Capt. Gardiner had sent 'orders' that the post be defended although I would think that a bit cheeky as the post was normally under the command of a major and sub-alterns generally avoid ordering about those of higher rank!

Best

Michael
Barbara Grant

Thank you, Michael; I suspected that 'runner' had to be a generic term.

Best,

Barbara
Paul Bryant-Quinn

A note which Julian Whybra and I collaborated on for his invaluable England's Sons may be of use here, although it doesn't address the specific question about orders to defend the post:

45/726 Private Edward EVANS 2nd battalion, 3rd Regiment attached to 1st Squadron Imperial Mounted Infantry

A letter almost certainly in English was sent home to his mother and brother in Llawryglyn near Llanidloes, dated Helpmakaar (sic), 3rd February 1879. The original, if it still exists, has not been found. Four extracts were published: (Ai) a long extract, possibly almost complete, published in English in the Montgomeryshire Express, 1st April 1879; (Aii) a short extract in Welsh in Y Genedl Gymreig, 10th April 1879; (Aiii) the same short extract in English in the North Wales Express, 11th April 1879; (Aiv) a short extract in Welsh in Y Gwyliedydd, 17th April 1879. There are minor differences between the extracts: Evans states that he escaped with one comrade in the Welsh version (Aii) and with two comrades in the two English versions (Ai and Aiii) and the other Welsh version (Aiv), though according to Colonel Bray, Evans "was ordered with two others to ride as hard as he could to Rorke�s Drift to give the alarm". He certainly arrived at Rorke�s Drift solely in the company of Private Whelan 1/13th, I.M.I. Aii was almost certainly mistranslated. In addition, the three later extracts contain a phrase not included in the earliest one. It is therefore impossible to say with any certainty which extract was the original and it is probable that all four are edited versions of the original. A letter dated 28th January 1879 recorded Evans�s arrival at Umsinga (Natal Mercury, 1st February, 1879).

Smile ,
Dear Barbara ,
Further to your query can i add the words , SAPPER & DRIVER ROYAL ENGINEERS into the mix ? , back in 1879 there were two distinct , " jobs " for the men in the Engineers , in the main there were Sappers ( privates if you will ) and some known as Driver RE , Charles Robson RE was one of these and batman to Chard , not to Bromhead as we see in a certain film and whose character was never seen but mentioned briefly ( " I`ll get my man to clean your kit " old boy " ) . A Driver RE got a little more pay than a Sapper and fate decided that Robson was with Chard when the order came to send all the Sappers back to the camp at Isandlwana , had this occured then both Chard and Robson would have been on the casulaty list alongside Cpl Gamble RE and his few Sappers , I am not sure where these Sappers met their fate on that day at Isandlwana though Barbara. In the course of time the rank of Driver and Sapper merged and today , ALL Engineers are known as , " SAPPER " .

There is a lot of argument / debate about the man indicated as the mounted Infantry soldier at Rorke's Drift , some indeed were of the 24 th , others not , the name EVANS is prominent in this discussion and i wonder if when the roll call was put together did it include the mounted infantryman who rode into the camp with the news OR was he already there Barbara ? , i am not sure to be honest . It is a pity that the Chief Clerk ( MABIN ) , later known as , " The Fighting Clerk " ( not for his actions at Rorke's Drift ) was not asked to compile a roll call , if Chard or indeed Bourne HAD of asked Mabin to have put this list together we might know just how many there were there that day , such is the intrigue that still grips us today .

I would also like to say , i hope people like Col Snook will not leave this forum ( nor indeed others ) as their input is vital and keeps us fledgeling " keenies " on the right path . Where would we be if they left us Barbara ?

All the best , " Sapper " Smile
"Did the runner bring orders?"