rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Blue plaque to commemorate Pte William Cooper
HARMAN

Saturday, September 27

The plaque will be officially unveiled at approximately 2pm. The location is 6 Cranmer Road, Worthing, West Sussex.
Alan
Site Admin

Anyone attending the Blue plaque to commemorate Pte William Cooper

Zulu War expert Ian Knight tells of the battle, from both the
British and Zulu perspective.
Haydn Jones

I thought Forum members might appreciate some feedback on this event which was the first of its kind that I had attended.

In truth, I didn't quite know what to expect. I sort of envisaged a couple of council officials and half a dozen curious passers by. But as it turned out, and against overwhelming odds (Fatboy Slim at Brighton, Sussex CCC fighting relegation at Hove and major roadworks at Arundel which caused horrendous queues for miles around) I was totally amazed by the energy of the organisers, the level of interest and appreciation shown by local residents and the distances that many dedicated people had travelled to attend. All this and the sun shone too!

A traditional circular blue plaque was unveiled which read, "Private William Cooper 24th Regiment of Foot who fought the gallant Zulus at Rorke's Drift 1879 lived and died here". Meridian News TV were there and I was told a piece would be going out on Monday (29 September) so those who reside in the Meridian area may wish to check it out (but don't shoot the messenger if they "cut it" which can sometimes happen!).

I understand that as a mark of appreciation the organisers presented each of the street's residents with a Britain's AZW figure. I thought this a particularly nice gesture which really engendered that spirit of community (a spirit which is perhaps all too easily lost these days). All those involved are to be heartily congratulated. From my point of view the event proved a truly uplifting experience. More importantly, it did Private William Cooper proud.

H
Blue plaque to commemorate Pte William Cooper