rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Controversial VC
Damian

What Happened to a V.C.
Author: D'ARCY P
Publisher: Dundalgan Press ca 1980

Stirring tales of repeated bravery by Cecil D'Arcy during the Zulu campaign, which was to lead to the controversial awarding of a belated VC, as well as the later mysterious fate that this officer suffered in the King William's Town region 107 pp with frontis and fold-out map, Good condition in softcover, which has a 20 mm tear on edge. All books are shipped from South Africa. We will email with price quote for shipping. Quantity available: 1.

I came across this book in my searches. It sounds interesting. There is a bio sketch of D'Arcy in The Who's Who of the Zulu War
Harold Raugh

Hello Damian,

Thank you.

This appears to be the book in question, as listed on Bibliophile:

"D'ARCY P
What Happened to a V.C.
Imprint: Dundalgan Press

ca 1980, Good condition in softcover, which has a 20 mm tear on edge, 107 pp with frontis and fold-out map
Stirring tales of repeated bravery by Cecil D'Arcy during the Zulu campaign, which was to lead to the controversial awarding of a belated VC, as well as the later mysterious fate that this officer suffered in the King William's Town region
Stock number:16575.
$US 50.00"

Copies of this same book are frequently for sale on eBay.uk, with a "buy it now" price of $20.

Regards,
Harold
Peter Ewart

Damian/Harold

It also contains a copy of the full roll of the Officers, NCOs and men of the Frontier Light Horse entitled to the SA medal 1877-8-9, including date of commission/enrolment, date of resignation/discharge, details of engagements at which each individual was present (in the 9th CF, AZW and Sekhukuni campaign) as well as details of promotions, desertions, casualties, deaths etc etc. Although the publication is undated, there is also a charming additional (loose - not even tipped in) page numbered 108 describing the fascinating details of the unexpected discovery of D'Arcy's VC in 1992 and the subsequent agreement on its ownership and arrangements for custody. Cleverly, the page is very slightly smaller than the those in the book, ensuring that it never protrudes or becomes dog-eared.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Ewart on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harold Raugh

Hello Peter,
Thank you very much for this interesting information. This book seems to be of greater significance than I had thought. I found and ordered a copy a few weeks ago, although I have not yet received it. I'd be especially lucky if my copy in shipment has the extra page 108!
Many thanks indeed.
Regards,
Harold
John Young

Damian,

I've written an article on D'Arcy, which was first published in SOTQ back in the early 1980's. I subsequently revised it and it was published the Journal of the Anglo-Zulu War Research Society.

I should have it on file if you'd like to see it?

Harold,

I haven't forgotten you re-your request just been somewhat otherwise engaged with work, I'm afraid.

Sorry,

John Y.

Last edited by John Young on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harold Raugh

Hello John,

Thank you for your interesting message. I am a patient person, and understand you are quite busy. When you have the time to respond about the AZWRS, its journal, and the new Trust, I would be delighted to hear about them.

In the meantime, could you please provide us with the bibliographic information on your two D"Arcy articles?

Thank you very much.

All the best,
Harold
John Young

Harold,

The A.-Z.W.R.S. piece appeared in Volume 4, Issue 3, published in 1996. It was entitled Henry Cecil Dudgeon D'Arcy, V.C., Frontier Light Horse, it appeared on pages 8-13.

I'll have to mount a search mission for the S.O.T.Q. article, which was either in 1980 or 1981.

Thanks for patience,

Regards,

John Y.
Harold Raugh

Hello John,

Thank you very much for your prompt response and information on your A.-Z.W.R.S. article information on D'Arcy. That is very helpful.

I'll look forward to receiving in due time the SOTQ and other information. That was a year or two before I joined the VMS in about 1983.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Harold
Controversial VC