rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lt.Col. F.E. Whitton
Harold Raugh

Greetings:

Lt.Col. F.E. Whitton wrote articles on Isandlwana and the death of the Prince Imperial that were published in The Nineteenth Century and After in the late 1920s.

Does anyone know anything about Lt.Col. Whitton? Did he serve in the 1879 Zulu War?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Harold Raugh
John Young

Harold,

The earliest I have found Frederick E. Whitton is 1895, as a 2nd Lieutenant completing the establishment of The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians).

In due time he becomes the Battalion Adjutant. By 1903 he is at Staff College, I think I've got a photograph of him there.

On 10th June 1927 Lt.-Col. F. E. Whitton, C.M.G. is removed from the list of Reserve Officers due to age.

According to my records he did not serve in the Anglo-Zulu War.

I've got a couple of his books Service Trials & Tragedies, which was published by Hutchinson & Co. 1930, when the author was residing in West Byfleet, Surrey. This includes the Isandlwana & Prince Imperial text taken from The Nineteenth Century & After. I also have his 1939 work Deeds Which Should Not Pass Away which includes his Rorke's Drift text.

He also wrote Moltke. A History of the Leinster Regiment. The Decisive Battles of Modern Times and Wolfe and North America. Sorry Harold no dates for these.

John Y.
Martin Everett

Harold,

Only extra info I have is that he was Adjutant of 2nd Leins R in South Africa during ABW.
Born 10 June 1872 (too young for AZW). Attended the Staff College. In 1905 he was Brigade Major of 14th Infantry Brigade at the Curragh. Retired from Army 28 Oct 1922. Looks as if he was a Major and given the honorary rank of Lt Col in June 1917 when he went on half-pay. Oh, he could speak Italian!

We do still sell his article on Rorke's Drift on the museum shop which was published in Blackwood's Magazine - January 1979. It seems that this itself was a reprint of the same article which appeared in a earlier edition of the magazine - seeing that Whitton would have been then aged 107!

Harold Raugh

Dear John and Martin,

Thank you very much for your helpful and prompt responses. I didn't think Lt.Col. Whitton had served in the AZW, and I was hoping list experts could confirm this! Thank you.

Yes, Lt.Col. Whitton's two 1928/1929 Nineteenth Century and After articles were republished in his 1930 volume Service Trials and Tragedies. I wanted to ascertain if he had or had not participated in the AZW, so I could place his writings in a relevant category in my bibliography.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
Harold
Martin Everett

Harold,

The date of the original Whitton article on RD in Blackwood's was February 1934.

Harold Raugh

Thank you very much, Martin. I appreciate your expert knowledge.
All the best,
Harold
Lt.Col. F.E. Whitton