rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Companion to the Anglo-Zulu War
Bill Cainan1

For those of you already thinking of what Xmas present to give your loved one(s)

Pen and Sword are about to publish Ian Knight's latest book "A Companion to the Anglo Zulu War" which will contain entries ranging from Ammo boxes to Zibhebu, passing through shields, snakes and other things beginning with "s". The book will be available from the Royal Welsh Museum in Brecon.

Bill

PS No, I don't get paid for these shameless plugs !

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1744
The above book sounds interesting. We have to thank Mssrs Quantrill and Lock for it. Makes a change from all the usual suspects I would think
Steve Moore

Hi went to the launch of "The Companion to the Anglo Zulu War" at the National Army Museum on Wednesday night. Picked up a copy, got it signed and also got a free mini Chard figure thrown in as well for the sad room!! Great book to dip into, or wade through, what ever suits your mood.
Excellent talk by Ian Knight, and all in all a good way of spending a night in a city that didn't have a pub I could find afterwards, showing the England game.
For reasons that now escape me, I also bought a cuddly trench rat from the NAM shop. Its now lives in the office, having been banned from the house....
Cheers
Steve Moore
yesterday
clive dickens

I received my copy from Amazon yesterday I have only skipped through as yet but on first glances it appears to be a very good book indeed still Ian Knight's books are always top class
Clive Very Happy
Haydn Jones

Steve

Yes, I "second" all that you have said. A good night all round I thought. (I have said elsewhere that I think the new "Companion", together with the 2 "Who's Who", will make a nice little "trilogy" to which the reader can dip into as and when.)

Aside from the talk and book, it was nice to see the enlarged images of that picture of Rorke's Drift (i.e. as seen on "Companion's" cover) by an, as yet, unknown artist. Intriguing!

Incidentally, �6.50 for a pint of IPA and a pint of lager in Molly O Grady's afterwards. Shameful!

H
tony.ashford.@ntlworld,co

I bought a copy on Thursday and am finding it both useful and a good read.
AMB

I would second the assertion that the Who's Who and this latest book would make a very good trilogy. All three are very accessible to all readers, not least those who wish to read a short piece before bed after a hectic day at work!

Full of interesting facts [some well known, some not so well known] and well written. Another for the shelf - I�m beginning to think my library will have to be in a bigger room�

AMB
Companion to the Anglo-Zulu War