rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana for dummies
ciscokid

Hi

Can anyone please recommend a book for a newbie to explain the battle - don't have to be too in-depth, I'm trying to get my head around the basics of the battle.

Many thanks
Sawubona

Hey Cisco (with a heavy Mexican accent for those who remember the series),

At risk of raising a hackle or two, I would suggest getting a copy of Morris's "The Washing of the Spears" as a first acquisition for any proposed Anglo-Zulu War library. In spite of his Eurocentric point of view and some of his "facts" having fallen from favor with contemporary research, it's still one of the best accounts of the rise of the Zulu nation under Shaka to it's "nadir" (his word) after the AZW. It's readily obtainable, inexpensive, easy reading, and can be opened to just about any chapter and enjoyed from that point on. Isandlwana is covered in two long chapters.

Mike Snook's scholarly book is as comprehensive as any you'll find (considerably more than most in fact) and an absorbing read to boot, but as an "introduction" might be a bit like learning to swim in the deep end of the pool. It's appeal is to the student whose interest in the AZW in general and Isandlwana in particular has gone a skosh beyond the "casual".
Martin Everett

The cheapest available, is David Jackson's research on Isandlwana, republished at �2.50. See Museum Shop

ciscokid

Hi Lads

Thanks for the info - I like cheapies and just bought David Jackson's book along with the DVD. I'll probably put Washing of the Spears onto my xmas list Wink
Jamie

Osprey Books - Isandlwana 1879 - Ian Knight - Campaign

Simple and effective start for reading about the battle of Isandlwana!

Then move up to -

"How Can Man Die Better" - Lt Col Mike Snook
"Zulu Victory " - Mr Lock and Mr Quantrill

Regards,

Jamie

Yes, I agree Jamie, Ian Knight's Osprey publication, "Isandlwana" in the "Campaigns" series is an excellent choice; concise text, maps, 3-D views, lots of pictures and colour artwork etc.

Also, by the same author, his most recent "Companion to the Anglo Zulu War" includes an appraisal of debates about the battle which I would suggest is useful for finding your way around the full length books.

H
Isandlwana for dummies