rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sawubona

Thanks for that Sheldon. The prices on the Blu-ray "gramophones" are dropping as we speak. There was one available on "Black Friday" (the HUGE shopping and sale day after our Thanksgiving) for well under 100 pounds.

Maybe someone else can help out here? My guess is that the "internals" of all of the Blu-ray players are the same as was the case in CD players. There are probably about a thousand brands names slapped on the "guts" from a single manufacturer and all one pays for is features and brand name, not reproduction quality. That's my thought, anyway.

This may be obvious to some, but doubt that a Blu-ray player can be used with an older television in any resolution unless the television has an HDMI input or at least component inputs (RGB)-- something you're not going to find on a TV older than three or four years.
rich

Saw I think you're right on that.

And me I'm still on the fence what with blu-ray. hdmi, lcd, DLP, plasma etc etc. I don't know. I'm leaning to a LCD but perhaps plasma is the way to go??? Heard they run hot and suck up energy. They're cheaper I know but what I'm looking for is overall quality or am I "whistlin' Dixie" when it comes to what is available in video technology these days?

Personally, I'm not buying any more 'Zulu' dvds, as this constant updating of things is becoming a drag.

The last 'Zulu' dvd I bought, I like well enough, along with Sheldon's excellent book, is, as the character says in the film 'Finished !', regards to any more purchases in this area of my hobby.

I'm beginning to like 'Zulu Dawn' even more nowadays, due to so many releases of 'Zulu', which I find more annoying than appealing.

However, although highly unlikely, if 'Zulu Dawn' was given an update on dvd, or, a reimagined version of either film is released on dvd, that is the only way I will make more purchases.

Coll
rich

Well after reading all the boasting posts on blu-ray and HD it made me real curious since I have been watching my movies on a kinescope from the late 19th century. Wink Time to enter the modern era! A little Sony in one's life can do wonders. My new HD lcd is something to behold. Pictures are absolutely stunning especially those on the HD channels. And it does "upconvert" discs nicely.

Now "Zulu" is to be released on blu-ray shortly here. I think it will probably be released in the same version that was done for regions outside the US but I wish I can get surprised with 5.1. You know I'm wondering if those who feel the stereo sound isn't up to snuff perhaps a receiver that's capable of generating various soundscapes, i.e, concert hall, movie theater, etc may help with the sound experience when playing the disc.

I was working in the house of a customer (I work in a building trade) and noted the high quality of his TV picture. He switched back and forth between high definition and standard definition to show me how they compare and I was absolutely speechless!

I'm not certain that many of my esteemed colleagues on this site are aware however that their TV's and ours here in The States are of different quality. Since we established our standard earlier in the evolution of the television than you did overseas, our standard is lower and the image is simply not as sharp (it's the old NTSC versus PAL thing again) The few DVD's I own and watch that were produced for British viewing are dramatically sharper than our own DVD's, so Blu-ray will not be as much of an improvement for you as it is for us.
rich

You know I find that going to the HD experience really makes you cognizant of how that picture looks as its coming through the dish or cable channel. Not all stations/networks broadcast programs in high def and you sure can tell the difference between the HD and lower resolution programs. Sometimes its jarring.

And I almost to forgot to ask of those who have the Zulu blu-ray.
So what do you think? Is it video nirvana???