rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
SYMBOL OF SACRIFICE
Robin

Extract from the book ZULU IDENTITITIES

page 10
The 1918 silent screen epic,Symbol of Sacrifice, a tale of passion and bellicosity during the 1879 AZW, offers an evocative example. The consultant for Symbol's script was the isi-Zulu speaking Natal settler Johan Collenbrander, who avenged British losses at Isandlwana, traded cattle with Zulus loyal to Queen Victoria..........

page 21
Johan Colenbrander played Lord Chelmsford in the film and drowned whilst crossing a swollen river in a scene for Symbol....
I thank M-Net for granting me the rights to a version of Symbol restored by Dr Mark Coughlan, who also generously shared his research........

Dr MC is the historian for the Natal Carbineers regiment in Pietermaritzburg
M-Net is the broadcaster of DSTV in SA

Any ideas if the film can be seen?
Martin Everett

Dear Robin,

The person you should contact (closer to you than me!) about this is Mark Coghlan of the KZN Museum Service in PMB. Tel: 0333 453201
Mark has pieced together the surviving clips. There is a brochure on the film which I show you if you came to Brecon.

Collenbrander was drown crossing the Klip River near Henley on Klip (I have been to the spot - another recommended location for AZW followers perhaps - particularly for those who think films are the real thing). They used this river in the film rather than the Buffalo.

Robin

Dear Martin,

Thank you for the reply and your assistance throught the year.

It is highly appreciated.

Lets hope 2009 (aka 130) and 2010 (aka 110 ABW) will be great years for all military historians

Robin
AMB

Dear All,

Are there any major events marking the 130 years since the AZW? Either in SA or UK?

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

Robin

I'm away from my "library" at present, but if my memory serves me well there are a few stills from "The Symbol of Sacrifice" in the Knight/Castle publication "The Zulu war: Then and Now".

The new Ian Knight "Companion to ..." (which I keep shamelessly plugging as it's such a good reference start point) gives a good overview of ALL the films made on the AZW. If these films could be transferred to a commercial DVD, I'm sure there would be a FEW potential sales to readers of this site, though I doubt the numbers overall would make it a profitable venture. Any philanthropists out there (apart from that wealthy author, Mike Snook !) ?

Bill

Our DVD " Isandlwana Zulu Battlefield" contains live shots from Symbols of Sacrifice.
Mark Coghlan, from my understanding, had passed the rights to M-Net.
Zulu Battlefield Productions(Ron Lock, PQ,Victor Hugo & Don Guy)then negotiated, at cost,the rights from them to include selected extracts from the original film.
Martin - do you still hold stock?
Martin Everett

Peter,

Yes.

SYMBOL OF SACRIFICE