rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cpl George Ashby.
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Surgeon Reynolds has given me permission to leave my sick bed ( Netley ) to telegraph this message as the year comes to a close . I have not been of good health of late and will probably see in the New Year with a Lemsip rather than a beer ! , however i raise my hot toddy in salute to ALL , I make no bones about that . Smile , those who have a " beef " with me i hope you will reconsider your stance and i am willing to start afresh with ALL if it brings peace in this forum . I see the name JOHN YOUNG appearing once again , does this mean you are back amongst us John ? . My thanks for our long conversation earlier in the year and hope my card arrived OK ? . Smile . Some are getting ready for the 130 th anniversary bash in South Africa in 2009 , were i able to be there , one day ! . As the year draws to a close please take all the negative thoughts and elements from your hearts and lets ALL pull together for the sake of us all and this forum . My own good wishes for you all in 2009 . Now to business :

Is anyone sufficiently up on the man indicated above ? , i have been contacted about him and all i can offer is the fact ( ? ) he was known as Cpl George Ashby and was in the Frontier Light Horse as one of Pulleine's Rangers ( ? ) . There is a picture of him as an old man wearing a medal ( he died aged 82 ) showing " Pulleine's RANGERS " round the rim , he is not supporting a South African campaign medal however . He it appears claims to have been a survivor of Isandlwana but i know as much about this man / unit as i do about the far side of the sun ! , can anyone put meat on the bones about this man at all ? . I await any and all responses , thank you , " Sapper " .

My thanks to those who sent cards and there were many , i hope all mine arrived OK ( ? ) , " STAND TO ! , ERE THEY COME AGAIN ! " , " SAPPER " Wink Cool Wink
John Young

Graham,

Yes I'm back after my self-imposed exile in the wilderness.

All I can tell you is that a Trooper G. Ashby served in Pulleine's Rangers and Baker's Horse.

"Now get back to ramparts with your mates."

Happy New Year!

John Y.
Pulleine`S RANGERS
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Soon be EASTER ! , hope there were not to many sore heads on Jan 1st?. Good to see J Young back , looking forward to verbal set - to`s with him . I have a picture / photograph of this Cpl George Ashby who died in 1940 AGED 82 . The " blurb " with it indicates he was with Pulleine`s Rangers in the ZULU WAR and supports a medal with " Pullienes Rangers " on the rim , now i ask the questions , what is known about these RANGERS and did they operate throughout the years 1877 to 1879 ?. I know Colonial records ( soldiers ) were pulped in WW 1 and so lost forever , as this man lived to 82 there is a good chance his papers WILL have survived , however i have the other question about the medal , It indicates a medal with " Pulleine's Rangers " on the rim , however i have not come across such a medal , has anyone else ? , i shall contact MEDAL NEWS to see if they can help or are we dealing again with someone , " telling a story " ?, i want to be sure forum . Smile Sapper
Cpl George Ashby.