rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu War Medal Awarded to a Private in the 2-24th
rb8941

I own a Zulu War Medal with 1879 Clasp engraved to 1595 Pte. E. Jones 2-24th Foot that I would like to sell. However, I have no idea what it's fair value might be.

Here's what I know. The medal is confirmed on the Roll. It is my current understanding that Pte. Jones did not fight at Rorke's Drift nor was he with Lord Chelmsford at Isandlhwana but neither was he one of the raw recruits who joined the unit later that spring. Pte. Jones joined the 2-24th from Helpmakaar a few days after the battle. I have been in contact with the regimental museum and am waiting further information.

The medal was converted into a brooch and professionally restored in 2001 by RDH Medals. There is some faint ghosting from the removal of the pinback on the obverse but it is not detractive. The ribbon, clasp and swivel are replacements. If you would like to see some pictures please send me your email address and I'll forward some to you.

I will appreciate any insight and advice you might be able to provide.

Thanks.
peterw

According to "The Noble 24th":

From 25 Brigade Depot 21/1/1879. Posted to G Company, Rorke's Drift 29/1/1879 (Orders Book, Rorke's Drift, Regimental Archive). Medal with clasp 1877-8-9.

Such a medal would normally sell for �900 - �1,200 which is around double what another triple date bar to one of the other Imperial units would fetch. This is simply a reflection of the 24th's association with Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana.

As it has been brooched, my estimate is that the value is at least halved, and perhaps reduced even further. Some collectors choose to avoid brooched medals, especially if perfect examples are reasonably common.

The replacement clasp appears to be what he should have been awarded rather than what he actually received.

Peter
Medal News
Sapper Mason

Smile Dear 8941 ,
May we know your name and welcome to the Forum , one publication which will give you in depth valuations on this brooched medal is the publication , " MEDAL NEWS " , as has been stated the value of this particular medal now in the shape of of a brooch will have seriously cut the value of the medal , could we see this medal in it`s current form ? , i for one do not know if the medal could be restored , could it Peter ? . If this man survived his service records could well be at the National Archives at Kew of course . Many of this forum go to Kew including myself . How did you come by this piece ? . It would be interesting to see if any records are available for this man who missed the engagement at Rorke's Drift by a week . Hopefully you can put a bit more meat on the bones , Cheers ! , " Sapper " Wink

* If wanted contact details of Medal News can be supplied .
Restored
Sapper Mason

I see the medal has been restored and i hope you do get further information on this Pte of the 24 th , " Sapper " .
Alan
Site Admin

rb8941,

please bear in mind that this forum is for discussion of Anglo-Zulu war
matters and not a market for selling items.

Sapper, thanks for the welcome and for the tip about Medal News. I would appreciate contact information when you have a moment. My name is Rick and I live in Pennsylvania in the US.

I found the medal about 15 years ago in a box of "old military items", or so the sign on it read, in an antique (junk) shop in a small town in Wisconsin. I was pawing through the box which contained mostly WW2 US Army uniform buttons, ribbons and unit patches when I came upon the medal and a Connaught Rangers cap badge at the bottom of the box. You can imagine how surprised I was to find them there and how excited I became when I read the engraving on the medal and saw it was awarded to a member of the 2-24th. The shop owner couldn't remember where he had gotten them nor did he recognize the significance of the 2-24th. He charged me $25.00 for both.

I would love to post pics for you...but I can't get the darned things to show up here. I could email them to you if you'd like.

Peter, thank you for the information you provided. It was very interesting and most helpful. Hopefully the museum will provide more details on Pte. Jones and, if they do, I'll be sure to post it here.

Alan, I apologize to you and the other members of this forum. I assure you it was not my intention to turn it into a medal bazaar.

Regards,
Rick
Contact
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Rick , the contact you want re Medal news is : [email protected] , good luck with your inquiry and if wanted next time i am at Kew i could look up his service papers ( ? ) . Let me know .

Just off to Rorke's Drift , don`t worry , nothing is going to happen there , should get there about 3 in the afternoon on Jan 22nd , Sapper . Wink
peterw

Rick - please note the following:

Our valuation fees are as follows:
�50 plus VAT (minimum charge) or 1% of the value of the item or collection, whichever is greater. If the item or collection is sold to Spink or sold in a Spink auction, valuation fees will be refunded.

As an alternative:

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/

Peter
Zulu War Medal Awarded to a Private in the 2-24th