rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Dawn v Custer Of The West - Are They Equal As Films ?
Coll

I see these two films somewhat alike, as missed opportunites to make excellent films about 2 famous battles, with the characters of Col. D. and Gen. C., 'colourful' and controversial.

In this, I consider neither one to be better than the other, but equal.

Any opinions ?

Coll
Sheldon Hall

"Zulu" is better. No contest!
Coll

Sheldon

Yes. However, it's the comparing of the two wannabe epics, being 'Zulu Dawn' and 'Custer Of The West'.

I like 'Zulu Dawn', because, although not represented accurately, it did show the combined British units involved at Isandlwana - 24th, R.A., I.M.I., Colonials, N.N.H. and N.N.C.

Coll
leightarrant

If CUSTER OF THE WEST had a fabulas soundtrack (which it doesn't!) then Custer would be extra better, so many films, such as HOW THE WEST WAS WON have greater impact sometimes because of their musical score.
(How The West Was Won isn't that great when you look at it today, but the music still stands out as one of EPIC proportions) Likewise, ZULU DAWN, a very poor musical soundtrack....Listen to the soundtrack to KING KONG 1976 for example, poor film, but rememberable soundtrack, therefore the movie feels Bigger than what it actually is! I do believe also that CUSTER was shot in cinerama, which, for its time was something of a classic, purely because of the Cinerama tag, again, people thought the film better than it actually was. But I love it none the less.

Sheldon - See you at the widescreen weekend. Pity no ZULU showing this year...
Sheldon Hall

Look forward to seeing you, Leigh. No "Zulu", but there will be "Khartoum" in 70mm Cinerama! Plus many other great titles - it's an excellent line-up this year.
Sheldon Hall

Coll - that will teach me to take the time to read thread headings properly!
Zulu Dawn v Custer Of The West - Are They Equal As Films ?