rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
"Drunk as a (what?)"
Barbara Grant

Chard says to Bourne, regarding Witt: "Drunk as a (...)". It sounds like "loare." What is Chard saying exactly, what is the reference, and was this a Victorian coinage particularly, or something that moderns relate to as well?

I've heard "punch drunk," "dead drunk," "totally smashed," etc., but never the phrase used in the film with a word I've never heard before.

Thank you,

Barbara
Lord
Sapper Mason

Mr. Green
I think it might be a referal to , " drunk as a Lord " Barbara , a term often used in the UK , well at least one a clean one ! , another one is , as pi**ed as a newt , add two letters ( s ) in the asterisks , never knew a newt could consume booze ! Smile Sapper.
Peter Ewart

Barbara

It's our oldest - and probably most common - simile for referring to inebriation. If someone over-imbibes to excess they are said to be "As drunk as a lord."

P.
Alan
Site Admin

Another I like is 'under the affluence of incohol'.

I spent most of my money on birds booze and fast cars, the rest I simply wasted.
George Best
rich

You know George makes me think of that comment supposedy made by Lincoln about Grant who it was said drank alot. Lincoln on hearing that said (to paraphrase) that it would be a good idea for his commanders to know what Grant was drinking since he was winning battles for him. George, being a prolific goal scorer, could've helped out others if they only knew what brand he drank. Wink

Site Admin

I don't think he knew himself in the end!

"Drunk as a skunk"? That's the phrase I know, but why a skunk, I will never know. Perhaps because it ryhmes with drunk Very Happy

Dawn
William Seymour

Dawn
Try this link in answer to your question:
http://www.takeourword.com/Issue056.html
JK
Dawn

Well, there you go, you learn something new every day.

Dawn
Barbara Grant

Dawn,

I have heard "drunk as a skunk" also in the U. S.. Never seriously questioned what that meant.

Best,

Barbara
Dawn

And you the one with the skunks Very Happy
HARMAN

Lord Edward Russell gave a party in London in 1807 where 6,000 men got drunk. A large fountain was used as a punch bowl, into which 800 gallons of brandy were poured. Other ingredients included 70 gallons of rum, 20,000 lemons, 1,400 pounds of sugar and 50 nutmegs
HARMAN

Drunk as a lord. Before the great temperance movement set in, in the latter half of the nineteenth century, those who could afford to drink thought it quite comme il faut to drink two, three, or even more bottles of port wine for dinner, and few dinners ended without placing the guests under the table in a hopeless state of intoxication. The temperate habits of the last quarter of the nineteenth century renders this phrase now almost unintelligible
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
What Ho Gang, I have read all that you good people have contributed and it has increased my knowledge base. Thank you. With temerity, I ask has anyone heard of the Barrister who, when making his final summing up in the case of drink driving charges used, to the anger of the learned Judge, the phrase,, "drunk as a Judge". The Judge, remarked with asperity, that the phrase was; "as drunk as a Lord" to which the Barrister responded, "Thank you my Lordship".

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
"Drunk as a (what?)"