rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martin Everett

Coll,

It is interesting that Greaves and Knight are seemingly following the same route as David Rattray - limited editions. Of course David's book is on a different scale with over 100+ of Lloyd's watercolours and sketches faithfully reproduced. Then DR is funding the project himself - which is not the case for AG and IK.

Regarding M&S (your M&S!) we are so fortunate that this stunning record was published. What is more difficult (or rather time consuming because of the detailed research required) is putting together accurate biographical notes on those who survived AZW. It took me a long time to find out where Lt William Weallens 1/24th had died - he wrote a number of letters home and of course was one of the ensigns when the Colours of 1/24th were taken to Osborne House in August 1880 - I know he went to India - in fact his son served in Indian Army. However he died in France in the same place at Lord Wolseley.

Rich

Well regarding the spellings of Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift at Pen and Sword I did receive an email back where they noted they will "endeavour to use the correct spellings in their correspondence etc". Apparently their mktg mgr and production fellows are aware of the question...that's it.
Zulu spelling
Robert John

If one looks at the A.Z.W.H.S. website Dr. Adrian Greaves explains fully as to why, when and how the different spellings are used.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

What explanation is offered for Iswandhlwana? One I've never come across before!

JY
Iswandlwana
Robert John

John,

With the greatest respect you know as well as I do that it could be and probably is a printing error.

Robert

Robert,

I fully appreciate that, and I have previously remarked on it.

However I thought by your previous posting that some explanation might have been tendered, as you appeared to be responding to Rich's posting.

JY
Martin Everett

Dear All,

Just an update from the publishers

Volume One - available 28 November 2006

Volume Two - available 11 December 2006

AMB

The two volume signed set is due to be avail from the 11 Dec for �45 - or so a very helpful young lady at P&S informed me this week when I ordered my set. They will hope to deliver before Christmas!

Thank you Coll for the info - I'd not previously seen or heard mention of the signed set.

AMB
Martin Everett

Dear All,

We now have volume 1 in stock if your are looking for that special present for Christmas.

See on-line shop.

I has been suggested to us by P&S that volume 2 will NOT appear until the New Year.

Martin Everett

Dear All,

Who's Who - Volume 2 - Colonials and Zulus has just arrived if anyone is interested in a copy.

Reprints .
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
As in most books errors creep in , i have got my copies and i don`t claim to be that knowledgeable in facts and figures but i am certain on the data re FRED HITCH VC for instance , FRED and his wife produced 11 children , 8 survived , he got married 5th July 1881 and to Emily Matilda Meurisse . Fred worked with Emily at one point before they married and her life is riddled with errors when it comes to data . Look at the data on FRED in this very forum for about the most definitive information on him . The current book ( s ) by DR GREAVES & Ian Knight are a valuable addition to the library on this subject , perhaps the next reprint of this set will have eliminated most if not all of the errors , especially the non Zulu & Colonial book .

Emily Matilda Meurisse was born in Petersham in 1864 and died in 1936 , she married again after FRED died in 1913 and this was to a man called Rainbow. A look at the data on her will show you that in the 1881 census she is shown as 16, " ages " to 19 when she marries FRED in the July of that year . You can do the maths yourself ,even the most knowledgeable persons involved in this field make mistakes and i am certainly no expert . I have recently found the FIRST marriage i believe of no less a person than Sgt Windridge who married no less than 3 times in all . QM Bloomfield was married twice and had three children with these two wives , one with the first and two with his second wife .

My point in restating this information is the hope when the next printings of these books comes out , including the " Noble 24th " the errors will have been reduced if not removed altogether . As the old RE motto goes " The impossible we do at once , miracles take a little longer " . I am sure that holds true in all units of the British Army , " Sapper " . Wink
Coll

Finally obtained the 2-volume set today ! Very Happy

Coll
AMB

Coll,

Enjoy!!

AMB
Who's Who in the Anglo Zulu War 1879