rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulus in London
Peter Ewart

As we have no separate theatrical section, I presume this is the appropriate place in the forum for a little paragraph I found while researching in the Canterbury-based Kentish Gazette this week. I daresay JY and his colleagues have kept Bow Street magistrates particularly busy since Wednesday of this week, but I wonder what he would have made of the following disturbance:

Five Zulus were charged at the Bow Street police court on Wednesday with causing an obstruction in the streets. They had been brought from Natal for the purpose of supplementing the Farini Company at the Royal Antiquarium, but after demanding and receiving an advance of money they refused to perform, and on Wednesday twice left the coffee house where they had been placed, parading the public thoroughfares and behaving in an excited manner. On the second occasion a great mob was attracted by them, and one of the Zulus threw a knife and gesticulated with it in a threatening manner. They were now advised to carry out their contract, but refused to do so, and after being cautioned as to their conduct in the street, were allowed to go.

(Kentish Gazette, 4 May 1880).

Sounds as if it might have been safer at Rorke's� Drift! These weren�t the first Zulus to come over to London to be exhibited or to tour the country, as the idea seems to have gone back to the 1850s at least, but someone clearly had an eye for a few bob at the time and struck while the iron was hot. Another group of Zulus was on stage nightly in London at the time of the outbreak of the 2ABW in 1899. Presumably it was with the reliability of the cast in mind that someone later thought there might be a niche for the Black & White Minstrels!

Peter
Zulus in London