rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Luddington.
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Hello FORUM , Hope all is well , been away for a litttle time , health taken a kicking , never mind . It was great to see the dedication re Luddington recently , well done to those involved . Can those who run this site please adjust one little item ? , LUDDINGTON is shown as LUDDING on this sites roll call of defenders , a few people have contacted me about this recently , can this be corrected Alan ? .

Also a correction . T L Luddington was married ( second time ) on the 12 th Aug 1889 and not in 1894 , just a typo i guess but important . I have a copy of that wedding certificate . What is a mystery is the fact that Jessie Harper nee Sleep married Luddington in 1884 AND IN 1889 as has been pointed out . I don`t think a Pte OR an individual would have been divorced in those days quite so easily, Luddington was taken on the Married Roll register on the 28 th Aug 1889 , there is no mention re the 1884 wedding.

In those days a soldier had to get permission to marry or face trouble if he married without his CO`s approval. Dvr Robson RE was one who got married without his Co`s permission but did not get into trouble about this .

It was on the 30 th April 1874 that Thomas Levi Luddington enlisted so by 1884 he would have had to seek permision to marry as i understand this . I believe one of two things about this , when the marriage took place in 1889 he may well have sought and got permission to marry and not mentioned the 1884 marriage . If indeed he did get divorced and re-married then as i understand it when giving the Registrar details he may have omitted to give the CORRECT details inadvertantly ( ? ) .

I called Southport and strictly speaking if there was a divorce and he re-married the same person the details should have been entered on the 1889 certificate . At this moment in time i am not certain just what are the circumstances are regarding the 1884 and 1889 marriages . If anyone with knowledge of Victorian marital law can inform me i would be greatful.

Just who the father of Thomas Arthur " LUDDINGTON " b 1885 Cornwall is , Mother Jessie LUDDINGTON , remains another mystery. As is known T L Luddington was in Egypt for nearly a year at the time of this birth . We may never know the actual Father was or why two marriages took place , 5 years apart ( ? ) . " Sapper " Smile
Luddington.