rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
British uniforms
kelsard27

can anybody point me in the direction of a good book covering British uniforms (with good coloured pictures) from the zulu wars 1879 era.
i have Ian Knight's Rorke's Drift Isandlwana and iknow of the osprey men at arms books.
just hoped there was something more in depth in one book.
many thanks.
kelsard
Coll

Kelsard

When you say you know of the Osprey books, does that include their other series' - Elite, Warrior, etc.?

What about -

British Forces in Zululand 1879.

or

British Infantryman In South Africa.

Coll
mike snook 2

Hi Kelsard

There's also a chap/firm who produces uniform based CDs - (don't know the name off the top of my head) - which from what I've seen look pretty sound - and there's definitely an AZW one. Don't own one though. Let me see if I can find an advert. Anybody else know?

Regards

Mike
kelsard27

thanks coll.
will order British forces in zululand and a toss up between hill of the sphinx and Isandlwana by ian knight not sure which.
being more a figure painter than an historian its getting the colours and insignia of the piece correct which comes first although reading of the conflicts and watching films is what inspires most figure painters so its a catch 22 need info on both although since joining this forum all be it a lot of the people and places disscussed are way over my head i find that i am being drawn futher into these conflicts.
some of the debates and questions asked are so intresting i feel that i need to find out more so as to know at least what or who the debates are about.
being the same age as Ian Knight imust have seen Zulu at the same time so theres always been a soft spot for these conflicts thats when i started painting then women liquid children and bills got in the way so i stopped.only started painting again afew years ago and with all the figures from this period around it seemed a good place to start hense the questions about Younghusband in an earlier post .
working on his last stand at Isandlwana.
sorry if this is a bit long winded.
kelsard

Last edited by kelsard27 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kelsard27

mike.
thanks for that i think what your talking about is something to do with wargames illustrated not 100% but seems to ring abell will have alook .
thanks again.
kelsard
Coll

Kelsard

The time I saw what Mike's mentioned, it was advertised on the following site -

www.britishbattles.com

Coll
kelsard27

cheers coll
knew i had seen them somewhere not sure why i thought wargames illustrated had something to do with them.
Coll

Kelsard

You are not mistaken.

I saw it advertised not so long ago in Wargames Illustrated.

Coll
John Young

Mike,

I beg to differ with your opinion of Tim Reese's work being pretty sound, each plate that appears on http://www.britishbattles.com/ contains errors. If that is the case for those on display I hate to think what is contained on the disc. As a basic painting guide they look good, but the lack of attention to detail merely compounds the errors for the unwitting enthusiast.

That's it, as soon as the operation I'm currently involved with is concluded, I'll start pointing pen to paper.

John Y.
mike snook 2

John

That's fair enough - I defer to you in all such matters and always advise anybody who asks about uniforms to do likewise! Like I said, I don't own this disc and only glanced at an advert somewhere. When I wrote to somebody the other day, (when we last exchanged emails you will recall) I described you as the 'guru' of all things AZW uniforms.

Follow John Young's advice is the best I can offer on this one!

As ever

Mike
Coll

Kelsard

Do you paint 25mm or 54mm figures ?

Coll
kelsard27

coll
mainly 25 used to do alot of 54 there just to expensive now as iwould rather paint metal than plastic.
nothing against plastic just my preferance.
if hinchliffe brought out there zulu wars range again then it would have to be 54 stunning figures.
kelsard.
Coll

Kelsard

Do you know of the following 28mm companies ? -

Wargames Foundry - Excellent Zulu War 1879 figures/accessories.

Redoubt Enterprises - Zulu War figures, Rorke's Drift buildings.

They both have their own well-illustrated websites.

Redoubt Enterprises even has a book which is a guide to painting the Anglo-Zulu War 1879, with a foreward by Ian Knight.

Coll
kelsard27

coll.
have most of redoubts zulu war figures bought some years ago when they first came out.
at present working with empress figures beautiful little sculpts of both sides.
lt col snook gives agood review of there figures on tmp.
black tree design also nice figures just the helmet has ridges on nothing afile wont cure check there website.
kelsard.
British uniforms