rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Yet another uniform question
John Lundy

According to the books I have read, most junior officers in the 24th wore the regimental crest on their collars of their undress frock coats, rather then their rank insignia. Anyone know if this was true of higher ranks, such as captains and majors?

Thanks,
John
Mikey29211

Doc,
I'll email you some photo's that might answer your question.

Mike
rob

I am very privelaged & fortunate in having two 24th Foot officers uniforms from the 1870s. The first being a full dress uniform, which is on loan to the Regimental museum. The second is campaign uniform comprising a Majors scarlet frock tunic & foreign service helmet etc.The scarlet frock has no rank insignia on the collar, nor would it seem to ever had, the rank being denoted by the cuff lace. The shoulder straps have the regimental number 24 & above that a sphinx. I hope that helps.
Just out of interest the foreign service helmet has the star & crown helmet plate not the 1869 shako plate.
Mikey29211

rob wrote:
I am very privelaged & fortunate in having two 24th Foot officers uniforms from the 1870s. The first being a full dress uniform, which is on loan to the Regimental museum. The second is campaign uniform comprising a Majors scarlet frock tunic & foreign service helmet etc.The scarlet frock has no rank insignia on the collar, nor would it seem to ever had, the rank being denoted by the cuff lace. The shoulder straps have the regimental number 24 & above that a sphinx. I hope that helps.
Just out of interest the foreign service helmet has the star & crown helmet plate not the 1869 shako plate.

Hello Rob,
Can you post some photos of the hemet? Especially the plate?

Thanks

Mikey
John Lundy

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the information and you are indeed fortunate to have those two uniforms. Interesting that the sphinx is on the shoulder rather than the collar, as most references state they were on the collar - at least for the 24th.

John
Is this for real?Authentic British Soldiers Uniform cir.1879
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Another Ebay auction.....Authentic British Soldiers Uniform cir.1879 Item number: 110406461523 My ISp is playing "ducks and drakes" with me at the moment and I can't log on faster than 31.2 kbps so cannot look at all the pictures. But from the one I can download, the material appears mint with no wear pattern whatsoever, and is that four badges on the collar? So perhaps I an incorrect in assuming that this is "authentic" when what the seller means is " A Period copy". Any comments please.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
John Young

Kiwi Sapper,

Looking at it I'd say it had been cobbled together.

Mix & match - Sphinx metal collars & embroided crowns. Looks like a latter pattern other ranks' serge which has been chopped around to appear like an officer's scarlet patrol.

Worth it? Hardly!

JY
Yet another uniform question