rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Americanisms
Tom516

Gents,

Thanks very very much for the corrections, no I don't mind at all, particularly for avoiding anachronisms and errors - Capt.Edward Essex it is - as for Melvill, there are so many contrary spellings about that it gets confusing sometimes. Still, no excuse for bad scholarship eh?

As for the Americanisms, well chalk that one up to my profession. I teach American English to Koreans and I'm pretty immersed in Americana during work - my background's most definitely American rather than British Commonwealth I'm afraid.

I'd appreciate the scan as I usually take the textures from uniform and equipment photos or cloth texture plates. Right now I'm mainly focusing on the Ride to Fugitives' Drift (Melvill and Coghill) and the action on the nek as I'm not too sure yet if I can include the wagon park in the action. I will if I can otherwise I'll save it for 'the big one' (Isandhlwana battle scenario) - this is really just a showcase of what we've been doing (or at least trying to do LOL) to get more folks interested in downloading and possibly helping out.

I've been really interested in this period for quite some time - one of my oldest toy soldier sets were 24th and Zulus from ESCI/Italeri and in another computer game, Tom Clancy's Rogue Spear, I modified the look of the soldiers and weapons into AZW 24th and Zulu Warriors - sadly no one else was interested (but man those battles I had, hordes and hordes of the 'proverbial howling savages').

I was checking the old posts and I saw that there were a couple of folks Isambard and Lukas interested in a AZW computer game. Ah, if only for more support from bright young fellows like that.

I'll try and post some texture images of the work I've done on the 24th, 80th and Natal Carbineers - and of course Melvill and Coghill.

Many thanks everyone,
Tom (Harlechman)
Zulu Total War Team, RTW
Not a fan
Tom516

Is the CDV game you mentioned by any chance the American Conquest Divided Nation one?

I'm afraid I'm not much of a fan of the Cossacks style RTS games - I had VERY high hopes for Cossacks as I'm also a fan of that period but it degenerates quickly into mindless "build as quick as you can then rush 'em" battles - where's the 'strategy' in that? The AI is pretty bad and it doesn't churn out more than a few basic units despite the plethora of types available. The graphics are great but limited to the isometric view.

However it DID inspire something in Zulu TW - because of the Cossacks series I'm planning to have bands and musicians (actually for the Guards, Highlanders and a line regimental band based on the 24th)

The Total War series however, while it ain't perfect, at least is more modifiable (moddable) and the latest installment, Barbarian Invasion, has 'horde' type civilizations that can range and pillage until they decide to settle down - very reminiscent of the mfecane! The AI is pretty good and if we do it right I think we can simulate the wars of South Africa pretty darn well.

The Alamo game I hoped to get was the 'cheap movie tie-in' to the latest Alamo film - which I found in terms of historical accuracy a lot better than the flag-waving John Wayne myth!

Regards,
Tom
Zulu Total War Team
Melvill and Coghill