rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Baker could have been BOND.
leightarrant

Has anybody read that indeed Stanley Baker actually turned down the role of James Bond for the first film Dr No in 1962 ?? What could have been.
Mind you if he did take the role, perhaps ZULU as we know it would have not happened.
Mel

Leigh
Stanley would, indeed, have made an excellent Bond. The nearest he got to the role was in "Innocent Bystanders".

As Baker was one of the driving forces for Zulu to be made, maybe Leigh is correct in saying that had he taken up the Bond role, all would have been different...we will never know!

AMB
Alekudemus

Stanley Baker would have been an excellent Bond in the mould of the James Bond that Ian Fleming framed in the book. The Bond that Roger Moore portrayed was a travesty.
Simon Rosbottom

What we should bear in mind when comparing the Bond books and films is that the films are always reflecftive of the time that they were made. Just look at the outrageous gadgets that have, over time become everyday objects.

Moore was my least favourite Bond but the direction of the films at the time was for fantasy-escapism rather than gritty realism. The current Bond flavour with Daniel Craig is for Bond to revert closer to the books and be the dark, ruthless character that Fleming created.

Why? I think partly because things always go full circle and partly because at last, Bond has come credible competition in the Bourne films.

Saw Baker in 'Hell Drivers' recently, along with ol' Connery.

Great film.

Turns out, in the film world, Baker ended up being Chard in 'Zulu' and Connery would have been my choice, back then, as Durnford in 'Zulu Dawn'.

I still wonder what it would have been like, having Baker in the latter role and film.

Coll
ayr41

I surpose he does have an uncanny resembleance to Sean Connery
Coll

Seen ol' Sean as the officer in 'A Bridge Too Far' ?

He'd have been great in 'Zulu Dawn' !

I've also said previously, that Anthony Hopkins as the officer in the same movie, would have portrayed Col. Pulleine at that time well.

Modern choice would have to be, in the same theme, Gerard Butler (Leonidas in 300) as Durnford, Scottish accent and all.

I don't know if they'd be allowed to create similar scenes from '300', such as Durnford (Butler) kicking a warrior into a donga shouting something-or-other, or advancing solely towards the oncoming Zulus firing his revolver, backed-up by his men following on a short distance behind him, or in his last stand, wounded, with his men dead and dying all around, regaining his feet, awaiting the shower of assegais to finish them.

Coll
Baker could have been BOND.