rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rorke's Drift - name check please.
Pete Keane

Hi All,

As per the other thread, I am hunting down info. on two Keanes at Isandlwhana......but.....hit a bit of a problem:

My fathers Aunt is the source of the info. that a family member was involved - it was her great-uncle i.e. my great-great-grandfathers brother - his name would thus be Keane

however

My father thinks the guy survived, which doesn't help my research!

My question: were there any Keanes (of any spelling), or any Doolans, at Rorke's Drift. I know its not likely, but I want to eliminate this before I move on with the two who died.

Thanks

Pete
Coll

Pete

I've had a quick look through John Young's book 'They Fell Like Stones', but don't see either name in the Rorke's Drift section, although maybe a more recent publication has details - 'The Noble 24th' or Julian Whybra's book.

Not much help, but might encourage other replies.

Coll
Julian whybra

No, no Keanes at RD in England's Sons. Peter, do you know the Xian names of your relative?
Pete Keane

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

Firstly - an apology - I did search the website first but misread the 'roll of the defenders' as 'role of the defenders', always embarassing asking a question when the answer is there to be found!

I'm actually quite happy that there was no trace on the RD roll - I have a fair idea that one of the Isandlwana Keanes are the one I'm after - finding more at RD would have just complicated things.

I do have another question or two though........

Pte John Keane enlisted in Manchester in 1874 - was a Battalion based there at that time?

and

Following Isandlwana his belongings were given to his mother - plus his South Africa medal and clasp. Would the medal have been issued posthumously or - as he also had a clasp - would he already have been awarded the medal (and what was the clasp for - I assume a particular operation?)

Thanks

Pete
David Glynne Fox

Hi Peter,
Re your medal query. The medal itself was issued to all who took part in the AZW and the clasp was issued generally if the participant actually crossed the Zulu border. Some however, such as many at Rorke's Drift received one of several date clasps even though the action was fought in Natal and not Zululand, although it has to be said that some of the RD defenders did cross over into Zululand later. As an example, date clasps issued included 1879, 1877-8-9, 1878-9 etc.
Hope this helps with your query.
Regards
Dr. David Glynne Fox

Thanks for the replies, I am going to order a couple of the books mentioned on this site to get up to speed!

I understand now about the clasp, I guess that the medal must have been issued posthumously in the case of the Pte Keane killed at Isandlwana.

Thanks

Pete

I
Pete Keane

Am making some small progress - we are sure it was a John Keane ,but.....Pte 88 John Keane is too young.

My g-g-gfathers brother was a Michael, but we believe there is no connection with the C/Sgt Keane.

Have just found out the possibility of a 2nd John Keane , Pte 1675 Keane in the 2nd Battalion? Maybe not at either battle, but will be on the medal role (hopefully).

I have ordered John Young's book, and will try for a copy of The Noble 24th

A potentially good bit of news is that we now believe all of my g.aunts family bits are still in boxes in my uncles attic. I am going to Manchester to search his attic ! We know the medal has gone, but it was in a small case with some details on a note inside, and we think she kept the box.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Pete.
Alan
Site Admin

I've moved this topic to Genealogy - Alan

Making some slow progress!

Went backwards with the family history to start with, with usual confusing details - the Keane I am looking for in fact joined the Leinster Regiment...thought the trail was dead, but started looking at the Leinsters and found their 2nd Bn. was heavily reduced in numbers after volunteers were called for, for the Zuluwar.

I have found that about 20-30 Leinsters joined the 24th Regt.

Am going to try and check date fir this, so it gives me a start point at Kew.

Hopefully Pte 1675 Keane was one of these, but knowing my luck.....

The medal box is inconclusive, the note inside says 'Pte J Keane. 2nd Batt.' - impossible to age, my g/f was also Pte J. Keane, 2nd Bn. South Lancs, so it could be his.

Pete.
Martin Everett

1675 is on the pay and muster roll for 2/24th - but left for UK on 14 March 1879 - so was not inolved in the 2nd invasion. Name also spelt KEENE.

Pete Keane

Martin,

Thank you for that, I knew about the 77-78-79 bars but not the return date.

He also received a good conduct / long service medal in 83 , would you know how many years service that indicates (helps me identify a rough start date.)

Irish surnames are indeed prone to changing - my gg-grandfather was a Keane, then a Caine, the next census he was a Keane, his wife a Cain and his three children all Kern !

Are the pay / muster records also kept at Brecon, or just Kew - Brecon is probably the same distance for me, and there's the added benefit of the museum.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Pete.
Martin Everett

Do not have all the pay & muster rolls - your best choice is Kew.

1675 was granted LS&GC as a drummer attached to 3rd Militia Battalion in Brecon - AG List 134 dated 1.7.1883 - therefore joined 1865 therefore born 1847.

Pete Keane

Thanks Martin.

Pete.
Rorke's Drift - name check please.