rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
ZULU LOBBY CARDS
ayr41

Hi everyone, have not been on the forum for some time, I've managed to get Zulu Lobby card number 6 towards my set, these are the original ones, I only need number 1 and to get and a better number five as the one I have is water damaged, I'm therefore assuming that the set consists of 8 cards, could someone give me any information on the lobby cards, is number 1 hard to come by compared to the other and does the set consist of 8? thanks for any help ~ Stephen. Question
Jeff Dickinson

Stephen,

it would depend on which set you were after British, U.S., French Etc.. I have the U.S and French sets and they both have 8. My British set is not complete so I am not 100% sure about that one. There is also a British re-release set out there. I may be wrong but I think the U.S set is the only one with numbered cards. Have a look at Ebay # 120367530410, Card #1 may be the one you need. # 120367526948 for card # 7 and 120367534340 for card # 8. You'll know straight away if these are from the set you are after. I should say I am not connected to that auction in any way. Only pointing you toward it. Hope this is of some help.

Regards, Jeff
ayr41

Jeff

Well done never spotted that one, hopefully I may win that one then I have the set although 5 is badly water damaged, been looking out for these for some time and also have a set of 7 black and white lobby cards which have very neat script writing on the reverse, also a set of Mexican 8 lobby cards which are of a poorer quality to the original Bitish ones. I'm not sure if the set I have including the ones advertised on ebay are British or American, all the ones I have so far in this set say COPYRIGHT 1963 EMBASSY PICTURES ALL RIGHTS RESERVED PRINTED IN USA thanks so much for your help and information Best Regards Stephen.
leightarrant

Hi - Do you have any original posters as well as the lobby cards? just wondering, as the poster and some lobby cards framed together sure look mighty fine! The original ZULU belgium poster spelt ZOULOU is quite significant, because its quite small, colourful, original and quite framable, couple this with say 2 lobby cards, then hey presto! Alternatively a small ZULU poster is the American half sheet, the half sheet American posters are quite framable, again because of their smaller size, (22" x 28") they look great when framed with lobby cards, properly mounted of course!
Good luck with findin your missing cards to complete your whole set.
ayr41

Hi Leigh, pride of place in my back room is a professionally framed original UK full size Zulu poster, the one with the large word Zulu blue sky sand with the warriors running around the letters, hopefully if I can put together a good set of the 8 lobby cards I will do the same, unfortunately one I have the one with the Zulu girls in line had bad water damage so is not good enough to frame, so I've waited this long it will be worth getting agood one, thanks again for your comments - Stephen
Sheldon Hall

I'm informed by my friend George Smith, possibly the world's most assiduous collector of material on "Zulu" (he supplied many of the illustrations for my book), that the French lobby card set has FORTY (not eight) cards! George, of course, can prove it: he has all forty. Sorry!

Sheldon
ayr41

Hi All as you can see it has been a while since posting this in February, I have just managed to purchase number 1 British lobby card and replace two of my others which were very tatty, had to go to Australia to get them though, so will have a nice set when they arrive. Don't think I will start collecting the French set though after the time it has took me to put these together. Regards Stephen
ayr41

If anyone is interested I have now listed the two lobby cards I have replaced on ebay, may help to fill someones collection.
ZULU LOBBY CARDS