rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Any New Zulu War Documentaries Being Considered ?
Coll

Out of curiosity, away from books, with the mentioning of the 'Warriors' series, is it known if anything else is being considered for future tv projects ?

Coll
Johnny_H

Did you happen to see the Spike TV "Deadliest Warrior" show which features a duel between William Wallace and King Shaka? DW is one of the silliest shows I've ever seen, to say its quite bad is a generous understatement (another episode features the IRA vs Taliban in which hilarity ensues). Trouble is the show tries to be serious which is unfortunate. Thats about all I've seen thats new with any mention of the Zulu.

Coll

Johnny

Never seen it, although I tend to like comparisons made between historical figures/weapons/battles, etc., but within reason and covered in-depth.

I've recently seen a repeat of the series episode of 'Last Man Standing', which featured modern athletic-types, learning Zulu stick-fighting.

I think if any more drama/documentaries are made, they should focus on the leaders, such as the meeting of Durnford and Pulleine in the tent at Isandlwana, or Chard and Bromhead, etc., having them portray the events that they saw or discussed, even with an interview-style, with good-likenesses of each of the participants, in accurate uniforms/surroundings, talking to the camera or interviewer/reporter, with their views on the orders/events/actions, or answering questions posed to them.

This would make interesting viewing.

I feel it would be better, than trying to create the battles with a dozen or so men, or the recent, awful, VC series, showing a dreadful depiction of Rorke's Drift and the men involved, especially the actor chosen to play Hook.

Absolutely horrendous, so it was.

Coll
Coll

Saw a film recently, with an older-looking Jeremy Irons.

Now there's the man to portray Col. D., in a film/drama-documentary.

Don't know about Col. P. yet. Confused

However, Jason Isaacs, would be a passable Lt. Chard.

I'll have to ponder which actors would suit for the other participants.

That said, have you seen a younger, beardless, or moustached Simon Ward (Lt. Vereker in Zulu Dawn) ?

Doesn't he make a credible likeness to Lt. Bromhead ?

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

James Robertson Justice as either Smith or Dalton?

P.
Coll

Peter

Did he not always play loud (volume-wise) characters ?

For Col. P., I'll have to opt for a younger (A Bridge Too Far) Anthony Hopkins.

I'm still considering which actors would suit portraying many other participants.

Coll
Any New Zulu War Documentaries Being Considered ?