rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
how many times
rayb

OK lets be trueful how many times have you watched the film zulu or zulu dawn,
I'm 42yrs and i have watched zulu around 55 times and zulu dawn 15.
i suppose zulu stirs a deep childhood war film in me, i can still hear my mom on a sunday afternoon wanting to watch my fair lady and us boys wanting to watch zulu.

(Ray, despite your advancing years, it seems you still haven't discovered where the shift key is on your computer. - Alan)
Sawubona

Are you counting rewinds of the best parts added cumulatively to make complete viewings? I've probably seen the first attack in ZULU somewhere in the order of hundreds of times and the climax at least that, but from beginning to end?

When I purchased my first VCR, my first thought was "Now I can watch ZULU anytime, day or night!" Honestly. My second thought was "I got to get a life like a normal person!" This site is a continual affirmation of my sanity- or at least of the fact that if I went over the edge with this in my madness, than there were other jumpers as well.
Coll

'Zulu' I watched numerous times, but ever since 'Zulu Dawn' became available on dvd, I must say it is what I have watched the most from there on. It is not termed a 'classic' like 'Zulu', more of a cult film, but I enjoy it, flaws and all, especially now that Arrow Films released a superior version to all that had gone before, showing it as it was meant to be seen.

Coll
Alekudemus

lost count of how many times but only had the Blu Ray version a couple of months and watched it three times! Awesome it is too !!!
Paul Bryant-Quinn

I was only a child when Zulu was released but every time it came to the local cinema in Ruislip I saved up to go and see it - must have been a dozen times before I left to go to college in 1975.

What a question. I could never say exactly, but I've been watching both movies for well over twenty years.

I would bet that I've seen Zulu Dawn (or at least the ending sequence) hundreds and hundreds of times. Its a little disturbing (to me that is) that I know the full script basically by heart.

I've entertained myself, trapped in my car during rush hour traffic, by trying to voice the whole movie in proper sequence. Its a little sad I know...but I can pretty much get the whole thing right.

Like I tell my wife, it could be worse - some husbands go out driking into the night - I just watch Zulu Dawn over and over.

David

That's interesting. Do you like 'Zulu Dawn' more than 'Zulu' ?

If so, you are one of very few, I think, including myself.

Sheldon, I imagine, might not understand such a view.

Coll
zulu
shearer

I first saw Zulu in 1964 I think at the Essoldo in Hartlepool, and have never really stopped watching it since, I once staid in the cinema and watched it straight through again, the dvd is watched often too.I read that Titanic is to be released in 3d soon I hope Zulu gets the same treatment too.Zulu Dawn I watch from time to time,not as good as Zulu but the battle scenes are good
how many times