rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Second Closed Topic
Coll

Alan

I understand why you made your decision, but must add, that is what was wanted by a member of the forum.

This topic was the closest to really getting out of the constant circle of repeats.

It's impossible to move forward if said member keeps blocking the way.

Coll
dodgermuk

I conqur with Coll. It was a good debate, sometimes heated, sometimes not but when some person decides to take it abit to personal and tempers start getting frayed, rather than the admin telling the individuals involved to cool it the topic is locked and the rest of us are left out in the open so to speak and we loose a good debate.

I did notice when things got abit out of hand earlier in the debate and mud was flying in the enthusiasts direction nothing was done but as soon as it turns the other way and mud gets thrown back at the experts, we find ourselves with a topic lockdown.

Well Coll he did say he would do everything in his power to make sure your voice would not be heard, looks like he got his way.

Rog
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Dodgermuk and Coll -

It's hard not to see in your posts a veiled criticism of Alan and Peter. If so, I am probably not the only member of this forum who would consider such comments to be ill-founded, ill-judged and unwelcome. Please reconsider what you have said.

Paul

I have never noticed any bias in favour of experts or enthusiasts. Everyone, it seems to me, is treated by Alan as an equal member of this board. And long may it continue.

Peter
Barbara Grant

Gents,

I was displeased to log in this a.m. and to see this topic closed. I do not believe that a preference was being exhibited by the admin, that is, Alan, here, toward "experts" rather than "enthusiasts," in terms of making a decision to lock the topic.

I'm hopeful that we will not lose our contributors, experts and enthusiasts alike; and am also hopeful that good debate on the general subject continues. Like Coll, I believe that the general subject is an important one. One could argue that the AZW was just a "little war" that happened more than one hundred years ago; but as I've seen time and again, history repeats, in different locations and with different actors, so I think it's important that we understand this history as best we can.

Best,

Barbara

P. S. I also believe that no contributor should be called "idiot."
Coll

Paul

I'm taken aback by what you have said. What an unexpected insult by someone like yourself.

Alan has contacted me privately, regards this matter, both of us understanding each other's position.

I'm disappointed and wish a public apology from you.

Alan

I'm sorry you've been put in this position again, but as you will have seen, it is not my doing.

Coll
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Coll -

It is not clear to me how I have 'insulted' you; nor am I convinced that a personal apology to you is required.

Paul

Paul

You have put forward the suggestion that my original post is a veiled criticism of Alan (and Peter?).

Why ?

So, if I tell you no apology is necessary, it then means the above is seen to be true, which it is not ?

I'm tired of the nonsense and untruth being spread in this forum, contorting both history and the present.

Alan

I can't thank you enough for this excellent site, which gave me a chance to put forth my opinions, but recent events are too much.

It is with regret, that I bow out, making no more contributions, as lately they seem to be getting twisted around for other purposes.

I'll look in from time to time, but that's all.

Your good health. Wink

Coll
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Coll wrote:
Alan

I can't thank you enough for this excellent site, which gave me a chance to put forth my opinions, but recent events are too much.

It is with regret, that I bow out, making no more contributions, as lately they seem to be getting twisted around for other purposes.

That goes for me too, Alan.

Best wishes,

Paul

I'm very sorry that Paul and Coll feel so strongly about matters.
I'm tempted to bow out myself at times.

I hope that none of this is final. Sad

Dear Alan

I regret that due to the persistent unchecked abuse emanating from Coll, not merely in my direction, that for me rdvc has ceased to be either fun or worthwhile. It should not be necessary for me to add that his assertion that I would strive to deliberately close down a thread (way beyond my influence to achieve as you know) is ridiculous. I have spent my entire professional life, sometimes at considerable risk to it (!), striving to further the cause of liberal values, including freedom of speech, in some pretty dodgy parts of the globe. His assertion is offensive and very obviously and plainly wrong: I know that you and the great majority of forum members will have immediately realised this. I can sense that you intervened to tell him he was throwing wild accusations about - and yet once again he continues in the same vein. He will be back of course - this being merely the latest in a long line of huffs and imagined umbrage, and that being the case, I'm afraid I can think of better things to do with my time than visit websites to be insulted in quite such an unecessary and unpleasant way. I have tried ignoring him but as you can see, this doesn't work either.

In similar vein Galloglas does not have the right to assert sinister, devious or improper motives to my authorship when he barely knows me. I know why I wrote HCMDB; he does not. It is nothing to do with capbadges - his or mine. His question, I wonder what would Col D would have thought have about people who have written about him, is designed to be intentionally nasty, but misses the point - I have not in my life been associated with a military disaster in which 1420 lives were lost. Until I am, I fancy historians will have precious little interest in MRS. There is no secret behind my motives in writing HCMDB - it was written, as I have openly stated before, simply because I was dissatisfied with many of the arguments advanced in predecessor works on the subject. Quite simply I believed, after a lifetime of studying Isandlwana, that they were wrong in much of what had been said. I perceived that my study of the ground and the sources allowed of a more coherent reconstruction of what actually happened at Isandlwana than had ever before been placed before the public. I also thought I could explain it better. So I put it down on paper. The AZW is a hobby for me, but I'd like to think that I have a tidy analytical mind and have had something worthwhile to say on the close military detail associated with the Battles of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. There are others far more expert than I on other aspects of the conflict. I have, I'm pretty sure, retained a sense of perspective throughout - none of this is really very important today - fascinating though it may be to those of us who have been bitten by the bug. But some of us seem to have been bitten by infected bugs and are unable to maintain the same sense of perspective. I have a busy vocation, much to do in real Africa and more books to write in my spare time. I hope that you will appreciate the reasons why rdvc has ceased to be fun or worthwhile for me. Above all else I must safeguard the dignity of the Queen's Commission, and so giving back as good as I get or expressing the way I feel personally when subjected to these needless attacks can never be an option. I wish you well with the site and hope that you can find your way through the doldrums, but for me personally it has become a sterile place. To the many friends I've made here, I'd like to say adieu, good luck and thanks. I will be at Isandlwana and other places in Zululand from time to time over the next few years so maybe I'll bump into a few of you. I may also be back in Blighty for the odd AZW event and such like, but I will no longer be here at rdvc. It was fun while it lasted.

With all best wishes to the management and the membership.

M

Last edited by mike snook 2 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

I shall shall ask Peter to discontinue this website a week from today.
It's become more of a pain than a pleasure.
If he wants to continue it, that's up to him. For me, it's over.

Alan,
Sure, these internecine "pissing matches" (is that a distinctly Yankee phrase?) could try the patience of even a saint, but look at the number of visitors pretty much every thread on this site gets-- not just the "members", but the "guests" as well! Your efforts here have set the bar so high that all the admin's of the "other" sites can only reach it in their dreams. And now you're trash talkin'?

Perhaps I can't fully appreciate how painful it can be sometimes for you trying to walk a tightrope of compromise and pacification with this unruly crew often snarling at each other and occationally even you, but I do know I speak for the majority of members and guests- dare I say all?-- when I say : ��s ofereode, �isses swa m�g! Deor had nothing on you when he told us that "This too shall pass" and I never read that with anything but confidence that he got over it in time. How about giving us at least a month from today?
AMB

Alan,

I can only say how much pleasure that this site has brought me and many many others over the years.

It is a great shame that you feel that you can no longer continue. We have never met, but you come across as a true, even handed, gentleman in your dealings with us who take an active part in the discussions.

I can only ask you to reconsider your last. If you feel you can not, then please take my very best wishes for the future.

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

Sawubona wrote:
Alan,
How about giving us at least a month from today?

Why not. I personally won't be here. Peter may choose to take on the role I had and continue as before.