rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
the film zulu can you help
rayb

In the film, Isandlwana mountain can be seen but this was ten miles from Rorke's Drift, where was the film located. Also when the Zulus are attacking there is a monument they run past , what is this for ... I'm sure some of you guys might know
Sawubona

ray,
ZULU was filmed at Royal Natal National Park, a dramatic location in South Africa that's quite a way west of the real Rorke's Drift. I couldn't say what the actual mileage distance is, but it at least an hour and a half of rough wheeling between the two. The mountain you see in the background in the movie, although it does resemble Isandlwana, is simply a prominent hill in the Drakensberg range. Google "Northern Drakensberg, Amphitheater, or Royal Natal National Park. The intention was to film at Rorke's Drift, but it was still an active mission at the time and not keen on promoting war films.

If you haven't got Sheldon Hall's book about the making of the movie, it's a bargain at any price-- worth it's weight in gold to any dyed in the wool fan of ZULU, something which you appear to be. There's also a Youtube video that's a slideshow of the actual film location for ZULU that might be of interest to you. "Search" Youtube for "ZULU location". There are also several denizens of this site who've spent some serious quality time at RNNP-- one at least actually taking photographs from the exact camera locations and angles used in the filming!

Last edited by Sawubona on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawubona

Oh, the "monument" they charge past isn't a monument as such, but rather simply an artifact. I think I've noticed it in the film, but it's not anything of any significance-- a random stick or such. Sorry it's nothing more important.
Simon Rosbottom

Ray,

All you need to know is in this previous post. Co-ordinates etc, follow the subsequent links.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1161

From memory, it's 4 hours-ish to drive.

To clarify, the "stick" the Zulus run past is the British army flagpole, placed there by the film crew as part of the set - we see the tents and other camp equipment being taken down before the Zulus attack, remember?

Sawubona, many thanks for the plug - much appreciated!
the film zulu can you help