rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
You Can Write A Novel Kit (But May Help With A Screenplay)
Coll

I've recently acquired a nice box set titled -

You Can Write A Novel Kit.
by James V. Smith, Jr.

It consists of an instructional book, plus 5 different guided notepads, which consist of printed sheets, to help you list and keep track of different aspects of your novel/screenplay.

These notepads cover - Scene Development, Master/Major Character Development, Minor Character Development, Revision Tracker and Chapter Log.

Just thought I'd let any new writers know.

Coll

Glenn - it may help a little with your writing too.
Dawn

Col, may I also recommend "How to Write a Damn Good Novel" by James N Frey. Also about novel writing but the principles apply to screenwriting too.

This is not the same James Frey who wrote "A Million Little Pieces" as non fiction and was outed as it being mostly fiction after Oprah endorsed him. Mind you, I would have to say that he did write a damn good novel too.

Dawn
Screenwriters Bookshelf.
TonyJones

Dear Coll/Dawn,
also worth a read are two books on the 'writers'
section of my bookshelf:

Screenwriting by Lew Hunter (ISBN 0-7090-5444-0)
The Complete Book of Scriptwriting by J.Michael Straczynski
(ISBN 1-85286-882-1)

A young budding scriptwriter like Glenn Wade or any other writer
with aspirations to the 'silver screen' or TV would do well to obtain a sample copy of 'UK Writer' magazine, the official in-house mag of the
'The Writers Guild of Great Britian' , Address: 15 Britannia Street, London,
WC1X 9JN.

Its great that we have contributors on this forum who wish to add to
the celluloid pot with 'accurate' versions of the events of AZW history.

Tony.
Dawn

My books on the topic of writing almost equal my collection of books on the AZW, but my most valued book is one by Oxford University Press - The Student's Combined Dictionary Thesaurus. Paper back and rather dog-eared, I get very upset when my kids take it and leave it lying around. I almost have heart palpitations when I can't find it. Which is a very sad thing to admit to Smile But then, it is a valuable tool of my trade.

Dawn
Coll

This set looks like it will be helpful, although meant for novel-writing.

Writing is writing, as they say.

Fortunately, with a subject like Isandlwana, descriptions of participants, locations, equipment, etc., is there to be found in the many books.

Dawn

Were you not considering a project some time ago connected with Osprey, regarding the Zulu War ?

Did you contact them for details ?

Coll
Dawn

Yes, Col, I did contact them but heard nothing back so abandoned the project for now. I'd still like to get hold of a copy of one of their graphic series to see how they do it.

In the meantime I have several projects in hand that divide my attention, includng finalising the rewrite of my AZW novel, which is now nearing completion. All the while working full time at my other job which keeps the wolves from the door while I await fame and fabulous book and film contracts! One can but dream, can't one??

And I've promised Alan a summary of the siege of Eshowe which I've still to start on. Sorry, Alan, I'll get there in the end.

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

On looking at the Osprey Publishing site, I see they have a forums facility, in which I noticed the Osprey Editor responded to a suggestion by someone for book subjects, saying he would add them to their hit list.

The thought crossed my mind, that if a person was to suggest a book in the Graphic History Series should cover Isandlwana on their 19th Century forum, then the Editor might respond again, as well as others (enthusiasts) interested in such, thereby Osprey would know there was a call for it.

I don't know much more about it, but it might be worth a try, at least to get a public response, that we could all view Osprey's opinion.

Coll

PS. I'm intending to obtain one of the books from the Graphic History Series later in the year, which I could maybe give a review about here, maybe 'having a go' myself.

However, will people like my views on Col. Durnford's contribution ? Wink
Coll

Dawn

All things being well, I may give this series a try at a later date, on the subject of Isandlwana.

I recently acquired another helpful writing accessory -

Write Your Own Novel. (for the PC CD-ROM)

Very basic, but not bad.

I was curious to know if you tried contacting Osprey again ?

Coll
Coll

Sheldon

If you happen to read this, it is just to say, that having recently re-read your book, it is truly inspiring, as lately I've been imagining being on the set/location of a new Zulu War-related drama/film, with the cast and extras walking around in uniforms/costumes of the era, with all the crew hard at work.

The photos of scenes from 'Zulu' - actors and action - as well as behind-the-scenes shots, help to visualise this perfectly.

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Many thanks, Coll. Nice to know it's being used and appreciated!
Best of the season, Sheldon
You Can Write A Novel Kit (But May Help With A Screenplay)