rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Problems with jumping text!
Peter Ewart

Peter/Alan

Since returning to the forum after my recent hiatus caused by computer problems, I'm experiencing a strange little problem when posting. I can't believe it's anything to do with my new computer or ISP, but I'm finding that after about a dozen lines of text, when I type a character the text immediately jumps, so that I can't see what I'm typing. I then have to type blind, with each keyed character making the entire text jump and the bit I'm working on disappears downwards (or is it upwards?). Highlighting to italicise is completely impossible because the text is gone as soon as I hit the key - faster than I can stop it. This is making routine posts a very lengthy operation, as I have to retrieve the line I'm working on by scrolling back for every single subsequent letter I type!

Any ideas? Is it a known illness??? It's only when typing on rdvc. Nowhere else. Any assistance very gratefully received! Many thanks.

(Yes, I know - I shouldn't post at such length! I'll stop now, just before the gremlins are about to appear).

Peter

They did, just as I typed my name. This line had to be typed blind.
Sawubona

Peter,
Try as I might, I couldn't reproduce your problem on my computer/operating system et al. I typed many lines of stream of consciousness text intermixed with random characters (not unlike some of my normal posts) in the post reply box and it seemed to work just fine. I thought that info might be useful in helping to narrow down the source of your problem. Have you consulted a priest?
Saw
Alan
Site Admin

Peter,
Not heard of that one. I'm not the technical expert, maybe Peter can help.

Something you could try is doing the text in Word or a similar software and copy/paste into the forum section.

Apart from that, maybe Father Christmas could help.

Merry Christmas.

Alan

P.S. Having said that, I got an emoticon at the end of this which I didn't type. Gremlins? Or maybe it's Elves![/url]

P.P.S. I didn't type in the 'url' either.

Saw & Alan

Belated thanks for your efforts. I'll copy & paste routinely in future, or use more discipline by keeping my posts short!

Peter

P.S. Yes, a priest, doctor or sangoma might be just as helpful as a techie!
Problems with jumping text!