rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
New "Zulu" website - rare film storyboards discove
Sheldon Hall

Regular visitors to this website may be interested in a new one which went live yesterday: http://www.zulufilmstore.com

The site offers for sale a small selection of original merchandise from "Zulu" (campaign books, lobby cards, etc). But its main interest is for its display of a newly created poster which reproduces a set of thirty storyboard sketches used during production. I had always assumed that no storyboards (other than production design sketches) had been created for the film, but the recent discovery of these drawings close to the location site proves me wrong. They relate to one sequence only - the fighting on the hospital roof - and appear to be authentic.

Perhaps Alan and Peter would care to add a proper link to the new site, which includes a link to this one? Please note that while I have given an endorsement to the poster I am not personally involved with the website and do not stand to benefit from it financially.
ZuluFilmStore Storyboard poster
filmmaker

Hi,

Thanks for your message Sheldon.

On behalf of www.zulufilmstore.com I can offer forum members a 15% discount on the Zulu storyboard artwork poster - that's �16.00 instead of the usual �18.79 - plus postage. Just mention this website and your user name when you contact me to purchase.

Hope you can visit soon.

Cheers
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Hi Sheldon

Among the posters being offered is what appears to be an aerial shot of the Zulu getting over the barricades. Did that make it to the final cut or was it an out-take?

Regards,

Paul
Zulu Anniversary offer
filmmaker

Hi All

22nd January 2010
To commemorate the 131st anniversary of the Battle of Rorke's Drift, and the 46th anniversary since the release of the film, we are offering the Storyboard poster for just �15-00 (plus postage) for 3 days only - 22nd, 23rd & 24th Jan.

Thanks

Henry

ZuluFilmStore
Sheldon Hall

Paul,
Lobby cards - like other publicity stills - tend to use angles and even action which do not necessarily correspond to actual takes, let alone shots which appear in the finished film. The aerial shot you mention may be one such, though it may also represent an unused angle. Other stills issued for newspaper use include those featuring entire scenes deleted before release (such as the return of the Witts to the camp after the battle, the Zulus crossing the Drift and the cavalry arriving at RD). Not long ago, an "actual film frame" (sic) was being sold on eBay, supposedly a frame from a print of the film, which was actually a blow-up of a publicity still of Michael Caine posing sans helmet by the pont at the river crossing - a position in which he never appears in the film or the script!
Sheldon
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Thanks, Sheldon

- As, of course, that picture of a bare-headed 'CS Bourne': another shot which doesn't appear in the film.
tom

HI Sheldon,
I have a set of lobby cards I bought from somebody in the States some time ago.
On the back of each card are a few lines of very neat writing, describing what is going on in the picture.
Any idea whay someone would do this?
Tom
Sheldon Hall

Paul,
Yes indeed! As it happens, this is the only "Zulu" lobby card I personally own.

Tom,
Why does anyone do anything?! Perhaps he/she was bored of a Sunday afternoon and decided to doodle; or wanted to explain the action to someone who hadn't seen the film. Anyone else have an idea?
Haydn Jones

A related article that may be of interest;

http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=34564

H
New "Zulu" website - rare film storyboards discove