rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Language - Learning Using English 'Sounds' ?
Coll

I'm having trouble sourcing a book, which is almost like a Zulu language made (very) easy, as in, each Zulu word, or phrase, is broken up into segments, each individual Zulu segment with the English sound version shown alongside, leading onto the Zulu word/phrase, being put-together by the equivalent English sounds, to give a reasonable pronouncing of the Zulu word/phrase, without the learner trying the difficult task of being immediately able to say it accurately, but more how it sounds, to begin with, allowing the novice to gradually work on the exact Zulu pronounciation.

I hope the above is written in a clear way.

The book, which I only seen once, gave examples, and I was amazed how quickly a Zulu word could be (very) roughly said using English language sounds.

I can give no further details as yet, but it struck me that this book and others like it, would be of huge help learning this subject.

It is not one of the titles mentioned previously on the forum.

I doubt if anyone is able to assist, but thought I'd bring this more straightforward way of learning Zulu to your attention.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robin

Coll

Good luck with the clicks
Haydn Jones

Coll

Robin has a fair point. Most books and dictionaries on isiZulu will give a guide as to the pronunciation of vowels and consonants but when it comes to the clicks - well, that is a whole different ball game. For example, pronunciation of 'q' is usually described either (technically) as the tongue against the palate or (less technically) similar to the sound of a cork coming out of a bottle. I do not know how one might express these in the phonic approach you mention. The same would apply to the other clicks, 'c' and 'x' not to mention all their aspirated and nasal versions........

Moreover, their could be areas of doubt on some consonants too - 'hl' for example where even on this Forum there has been debate in the past as to whether "Hlobane" is properly pronounced "shlobane" or "llobane" (a la Brecon Beacons!) (neither quite hits the mark incidentally).

I think all I am trying to say is don't rely solely on a book, but rather, if you are serious about learning some Zulu, however basic, try to listen to it being spoken. There are plenty of CD packages around to help - just google "isiZulu". These will be far more helpful in pronunciation than just books although books are of course great for learning stuff like singular and plural - your "um"s from your "aba"s etc. You will soon get a basic grasp and it is quite fun when reading your AZW material not to stop and have to pause to think, "wonder how you say that?"

Hope this is constructive.

H
Coll

Thought I'd add this for interest -

Webster's Zulu To English Crossword Puzzles.

Webster's English To Zulu Crossword Puzzles.

Both books by Philip M. Parker.

An unusual concept, but an interesting approach.

Coll
Zulu Language - Learning Using English 'Sounds' ?