rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
a question about the 24th
Johnny_H

I live in Halifax Nova Scotia founded in 1749 by Edward Cornwallis, it was the largest and most important N.American Imperial military base on the continent, most of the relics of this time period are still very visible today including a fully intact star shaped Fortress dug into a large hill that overlooks the harbour as well as a few other fortresses that were interconnected.

The question is that it has been said that every line regiment of the British empire has called Halifax home at one point or another, they were mostly on three year rotations between foriegn garrisons. This list includes "The Duke of Wellingtones West Riding Regiment" and many others, so I was wondering was the 24th warkwickshires or South Wales Borderers ( after 1881 ) ever posted here? if so when?

Might not have been, I have a book called "Fortress Halifax : Portrait of a Garrison town" and they make no mention, but Its worth a shot dosnt ever hurt to ask?

http://www.nimbus.ns.ca/CP/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=5017

also if anyone wants pics of the fort, or the cities Imperial war artifacts or relics I will gladley provide it for you, there is allot here including North Americas only monument to the Crimean War erected by Nova Scotians who fought for the brits in that war, a number of interconnected forts, batteries and towers still stand here too. All of which I have pictures of and will share.

Should also be noted that this year marks the 100th anniversery of Imperial forces leaving the city, there will be a HUGE reenactment/parade this year on behalf of this event, and at that time not only will I not miss it but I will take lots and lots of pictures, for those who would be interested in seeing it.

British Military history from 1749-1906 will be represented there.
Cheers and thanks for reading.

good starting point...
Tom516

... would be T.F.Mills' site: regiments.org. It has pocket histories of virtually every Commonwealth and British unit and sometimes even periods of deployment. I'm browsing there regularly as I need to know the South African deployment periods of some regiments which will be specifically included in the Zulu Total War mod.

The 24th definitely served in North America during the AWI as part of Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne's army - IIRC there was a Bromhead involved in that particular war as well!

http://www.24thfoot.org/history.htm

I'm sure the others know more about it than I do, though...

Johnny_H

well I did another search and was suprised Surprised

24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot
1789 - 1867

1694 - Havre-De-Grace (Maryland)

In 1776 the regiment was among the reinforcements sent to Canada, and served in the operations under Burgoyne down to the surrender at Saratoga, after which it was "interned" in America until the peace. After some years at home the regiment, in 1789, proceeded to North America, and was stationed for a good many years in Nova Scotia and Canada. According to one account - about which there seems to be a little uncertainty - part of the regiment was despatched from Halifax, Nova Scotia, during this period, to assist in quelling a dangerous riot of the blacks in Sierra Leone and Goree. The regiment returned from America in 1800.

The first battalion served many years in Canada, where it was stationed during the troubles of 1837-8. In October 1837, the 24th Regiment was sent from Toronto to Lower Canada to suppress rebels, they return in January 1838. In 1846 it went to India.

from the following link
http://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/canada/can_infantry.htm

Martin Everett

Firstly, Lt-Gen The Hon Edward Cornwallis was Colonel of the 24th - 1752 to 1776.

Also Major Wilsone Black - he who was in command of the party who found the Queen's Colour of 1/24th in the Buffallo River after Isandlwana was in Halifax twice as a staff offcier 1867-1872 and 1882-1887.

There you go.

Johnny_H

Martin Everett wrote:
Firstly, Lt-Gen The Hon Edward Cornwallis was Colonel of the 24th - 1752 to 1776.

Also Major Wilsone Black - he who was in command of the party who found the Queen's Colour of 1/24th in the Buffallo River after Isandlwana was in Halifax twice as a staff offcier 1867-1872 and 1882-1887.

There you go.

Thanks Very Happy very much appreciated.

a question about the 24th