rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Durnford Name In History. By Ancestry.co.uk
Coll

Found this book by chance, so just thought I'd ask if anyone is familiar with it, solely out of curiosity ?

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Galloglas

Coll,

I'd be a bit cautious of this one from what I am being told it is much broader based than you might think and in its treatement of Anthony Durnford is highly dependent upon other published work that you will probably already have.

It is also very shallow on Edward and Arthur Durnford. Arthur in his modest but enduring way was quite a pioneer of the field use of several areas of emerging technology in the last two decades of the 19thC.

G
Peter Ewart

Coll

This series, produced by Ancestry.com, covers - or will cover - most surnames, including yours probably, and is produced with budding family historians in mind, in a similar vein as the various publications linked to all surnames by Debrett a few years ago, which were anything but what they purported to be. Not highly regarded by genealogists but they may contain something new for some. As G says, I very much doubt if there is anything in this one that you don't already know (or disagree with! Wink ) although you may pick up some clues about other Durnfords elsewhere.

Peter

P.S. Alan/Peter - an errant apostrophe has appeared near the end of my last line here, much to my indignation and it remains impervious to all my efforts at editing it out. Am mystified as to how this could happen. Zulus and Zulu's come to mind! My English teachers will be turning in their graves!

Yours,

Disgusted, Canterbury. Rolling Eyes

PPS: Durnfords Durnford's The first of these was typed without an apostrophe, the second with. Both appear with. Interesting! Perhaps it is a plural/possessive term that has been causing problems and you have adjusted the default position? Trust Durnford to be causing problems here!

(Sorry Peter. It's sorted now, see? - Alan)
Coll

Galloglas/Peter

Many thanks for your replies.

Coll
The Durnford Name In History. By Ancestry.co.uk