rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Molyneaux T
Robin

I have a copy of campaigning in South Africa and Egypt
by Major-general WCF Molyneaux
the inside cover bears the inscription of the Molyneaux family crest pasted on a small insert.
Opposite is a similar paste on bearing the
7- Family crest inscription
My research so far shows this to be of the Irish side of the family and i would appreciate on info what their interest in the book/AZW campaign may have been.
there is also a notation under the authors name
Major- general WCF Molyneaux
" son of capatin John Molyneaux and mary widow of Captain William Bowen (born July 1st 1845 died July 1898)"
Martin Everett

This could help solve the query.............

CARNARVON, the Right Honourable Henry Howard Molyneaux (Herbert), 4th Earl of, P.C. (1831-1890). Former Secretary of State for the Colonies. The eldest son of 3rd Earl of Carnarvon, he was known as Lord Porchester when he attended Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. In 1849 he succeeded his father as fourth earl. Given the appointment of Constable of Carnarvon Castle (1854), Lord Carnarvon�s first ministerial post was Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies (1858-59) in Lord Derby�s second administration. He was promoted to Secretary of State for the Colonies in Lord Derby�s and Gladstone�s cabinets (1866-67 and 1874-7Cool. In 1875 he put forward the idea of a confederation for southern Africa, involving the three English settlements and two independent Boer republics, on the lines of the Canadian model. Discussions in London were protracted and the Boers continued to fight the proposals. Carnarvon was later Lord Lieutenant for Ireland (1885-86) and for Hampshire (1887-90). He died at his home in Portman Square, London and was buried in the family chapel at High Clere Castle, near Newbury in Berkshire.

MOLYNEUX, William Charles Francis, Major, 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment (1845-1898). A.D.C. to Lord Chelmsford. Gazetted into the 22nd Foot in 1864, he served Lord Chelmsford as a staff officer from February 1878 in the eastern Cape Colony Colony until the end of the Anglo-Zulu War. He was in the Pirie Bush, Gingindlovu (where his horse was shot), the Relief of Eshowe and Ulundi. At the end of the war he had been mentioned three times in dispatches and was awarded a brevet majority. Later, he served in the Egyptian campaign (1882) as a staff officer to Ist Division, being at the engagements at El Magfar, Tel-el-Mahuta, Kassasin and Tel-el-Kebir (13 September 1882) for which he was mentioned in dispatches and given a brevet lieutenant-colonelcy. He then served under Sir Charles Warren in Bechuanaland (1884-85), after which he retired from the army as a colonel and was given the honorary rank of major-general (1887). He was buried in Kensington and Chelsea Cemetery, Hanwell, London. His memoirs, Campaigning in South Africa and Egypt, were published in 1896.

MONTAGUE, William Edward, Captain, 94th Regiment (1838-1906). Staff Officer, IInd Division during second invasion of Zululand. Son of William Montague of Gloucester, he spent six years in the Merchant Navy before being gazetted, first into the 2nd Foot, transferring five months later into the 94th as an ensign in January 1861. He served in the Zulu War as brigade major, 2nd Brigade (under Colonel William Pole Collingwood), IInd Division until he was invalided home owing to severe injuries sustained from a fall from his horse. He then served in the First Anglo-Boer War (1880-81), when he was in command at Standerton during the 88-day-long siege, being mentioned several times in dispatches. He took over command of the 94th when it became 2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers and was appointed a C.B. in 1882. His recollections of the Anglo-Zulu War, entitled Campaigning in South Africa: Reminiscences of an Officer in 1879, were published in 1880. When he retired from the army in 1887, he was appointed to the honorary rank of major-general.

Robin

Martin
Thanks for your assistance .
I presume that Major- General WCF Molyneaux might have handed a copy of his book Campaining in SA & Egypt to his extended family.
What I am trying to research is why my copy bears the "crest" of the "7th" side of the Molyneaux family. I have found that its the Irish side (T Molyneaux) but i am missing the link between WCF and T
Was the Irish side involved in the AZW?
(bearing in mind the comments made about the Irish at the 110th ABW conference i suspect they may have been!)
Thanks for any assistance
rich

Robin/Martin:...

Regarding Major Molyneux's memoirs. Are they available or perhaps out of print? I'd be very interested in his impressions as ADC to Chelmsford.

Just checked on Molyneux's memoirs since I wanted to get them. Yes, they are indeed in print.