rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martini Henry Rifles jamming .
George

Rifles Jamming. I have read and seen references to Martini Henry Rifles jamming on the battlefield at Isandhlwana (evidence from whom exactly?) does anyone have any information of these self same Rifles jamming at Rorke's Drift where there were lots of survivors to impart such information. I personally have not read anything on the subject have you please? In May next we here in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire are going to recognise our only representative in the Battle at long last he was Private Thomas Collins of Camrose, Haverfordwest, he was in 2nd/24th of Foot at Rorke's Drift, I will keep interested people updated as things progress. Best wishes everyone.

George
subject of jamming was covered in the topic bodycount, over the last few weeks.

I have been researching the Martini now for some time, and fire my 1875 Mk2 ever weekend with 40-50 rounds.

The trials of the Martini between 1871-75 did prove that jamming was a potential issue, however it was never as bad as damaged firing pins and springs, these trials were carried out by 20 line regiments and in Hythe, Portsmouth, rawul Pinda and other overseas garrisons, the result was ultimately the Mk2 MH rifle. The 24th would have had the Mk1 upgraded to Mk2 rifle, adopted in 1877 which meant the alteration of the trigger assembly to the new pattern single tumbler, the revised extractor and the alteration to the breechblock and pin to allow for gas dispersion. In truth the Martini and its cousin the Enfield Martini mk1 (later the IV) did try to eradicate jamming, but never really did do it 100%, sounds like the SA80 hasn't either, after another 140 years!.

I have toyed with the idea of firing my Martini flat out with 60-100 rounds, but I haven't got a bottomless wallet. OK the trial would be with drawn but not foil rounds. So, if you see someone going around with a collection box at the next AZW event it would most likely be me!

Hi Neil,
I'm thinking of stripping down my Martini for the the first time,following Jason's instructions,but how should I clean the parts before re-assembly?
Also,was there a pull-through in use as well as the cleaning rod?
Thanks in advance,
Tom
George

Hi Neil Aspinshaw, many thanks for your reply regarding the Rifle Jamming. You are a lucky chap to actually have one in working order that you fire and actually do. I can appreciate the cost of Ammo,If we meet I will put something in your Begging bowl ( just JokinG!)

Its just that I have never read complaints about them jamming at the Mission Station but they get bad press at Isandhlwana for it.

Very best wishes George Harris

George

At Rorke's Drift, Private Henry Hook had this to say about his rifle jamming:

"I need hardly say that we were using Martinis, and fine rifles they were too. But we did so much firing that they became hot, and the brass of the cartridges softened, the result being that the barrels got very foul and the cartridge-chamber jammed. My own rifle was jammed several times, and I had to work away with a ramrod 'till I cleared it."

I don't recall any similar statements about Isandlwana but I could well be wrong, there were many accounts left.

KIS
Neil Aspinshaw

Tom

If you strip down your Martini, the best solution for a thorough degrease is GUNK, which you can buy from Halfords etc. Its a water soluable degreasant. When you have done this I rinse all parts in very hot water, the heat causes very fast dispersal of any moisture.

If you are going to shoot your Martini use gun oil, if it is for display I use a product also from Halfords which is white lithuim grease which is like a very thick WD40, it coats everthing with a fine film and does not run and drip down the wall when it is warm. It is in a spray so it reaches ALL those fiddly areas, like inside the breech block.

There are two Martini Jags, the P1874 and the later P1881, both fit on the screw end of your ramrod, the Early pattern is the nicest, but most fiddly to use, the latter takes twobyfour gun cloth and is more practical, I have some so please contact me off forum.

Regards

Neil

Neil
Thanks for that.
Will contact you.
Tom
Martini Henry Rifles jamming .