rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Go Strong Into The Desert. By Mike Snook
Coll

Details are available of this book now -

http://perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Anglo-Zulu War 1879 connection ? - well, it covers Durnford's friend Gordon's last stand at Khartoum.

As an aside - Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson has a portrait of Gen. Gordon on his/their wall, which I'll hopefully have myself soon.

Interesting man.

Coll
The Scorer

Errr ..... am I missing something here, only this link just leads to the Perry Brothers catalogue and web site?

Confused but still Smile
Coll

Scorer

Click on 'Select A Range', then on 'Books' from the list.

Coll
The Scorer

Sorry ... in between my posting and your reply, I found the instructions elsewhere - best wishes!

Smile
AMB

One more for the book shelves...!

AMB
DrBrydon

Looks like a must-read. Have recently re-read Julian Symons' "England's Pride", so thoroughly steeped in the Gordon Relief expedition!

Chris
Denton Van Zan

Chris

I recently noticed that the author Mike Snook has added more details in the Victorian Wars Forum, to do with its availability.

C.J.
AMB

I've just got my copy through the post.

Mike and his publishers have done a quite superb job. Well written, beautifully presented with photos and annotated [colour] maps/diagrams aplenty. Michael Perry's illustrations are superlative. A truly first class publication.

Although �25 (+�3 p&P) ain't cheap for a non-HB book, still worth every penny.

AMB

Allan - this may need to be a off-topic subject?
peterw

Ditto - mine arrived Friday.

I guess HB would have bumped up the price. Having winced at the square shape it's actually a very practical design and the layout is superb.

One minor comment. I think the captions are printed in a tint of black, rather than full strength, to distinguish them from the main body text. I am struggling to read some of these so the publisher might want to review that for future editions.

The cover illustration by Karl Kopinski is outstanding.

As an aside, I have on my shelf a Beja/Hadendoa X-hilt dagger bought on my honeymoon in Luxor in 1990. I thought it was Arab but have recently discovered it to be Sudanese of a design that probably would have been in use during the Mahdist revolt. My example is most likely mid 20th century and not rare or valuable but a reminder of what would have been used in battle.

Peter

PS Agree with the suggested move to off-topic.
AMB

Peter,

I concur with your comments about the ink colour, (albeit mine are quite clear, they may be slightly less so on subsequent print runs) but do not think this [very minor] point detracts from what, in my opinion, is a supreme effort. You are also spot on regarding the books size; I, too, was at first taken slightly aback by the size and shape, but it works extremely well.

I also have 'interesting things' (a phase picked up from one of my brigade commanders) about the house, acquired on various journeys about the Globe. My library has a number of 'interesting things' related to the books on the shelves. It's always interesting to read about Abu Klea, RD or Isandhlwana (for example) whilst toying with expended MH cartridge cases from those distant battlefields.

AMB
Go Strong Into The Desert. By Mike Snook