rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Supplementary Paper/Booklet Details ?
Denton Van Zan

Peter Q

Any further details about your booklet ?

Thankyou

C.J.
Peter Quantrill

Coll,
Yes, there is indeed.We are placing the thesis in to the public domain shortly.
Alan has very kindly agreed to place the document in the Pot Pourrie section, titled:
"Isandlwana: The Missing Five Hours."
It runs to some 12,000 words and includes three maps and a photograph.
The thrust is to re-examine and analyse primary source material, together with forensic examination of the Campbell Collections annotated maps that indicate the apparent close relationship that existed between Edward Durnford and Wood.
We hope that vigourous debate may ensue and that some of the accepted tenets of the battle may be reviewed; in particular the Zulu intent to do battle on the 22nd and Raw's point of contact with the Umcityu regiment.

Peter
Denton Van Zan

Peter Q

Thankyou very much for answering my enquiry.

The contents sound hugely interesting and guarantee several debates.

Looking forward to it immensely.

Thanks again.

C.J.
Alan
Site Admin

The article is indeed fascinating and will been shortly placed on the site. It won't be in the Pot Pourri section, rather it will be included in the 'Isandhlwana' section. It does promise to encourage some considerable debate. I'll post details as soon as it is available.

Peter Q

I've now read your paper with great interest, which I'll re-read again tomorrow.

I'll leave it to others to start any topics on your findings.

C.J.
Peter Quantrill

Coll,
Suggest that should you have comments, it would perhaps be done by you opening a new topic, (rather than continue under the present heading,) titled:
"Isandlwana: The Missing Five Hours."
Or indeed anyone wishing to comment.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

The article is now in the 'Isandhlwana' section.

Go to:-

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/Isandhlwana/Isandlwana-the-missing-five-hours.htm

Peter Q

Finally managed to acquire inks, so will print out the paper today for studying in-depth.

Also, obtained the necessary bottle of whisky.

I consider both the above as a set. Wink

I'll not post in the topic on the main forum, which is now on a more balanced level, than how it first started.

Looking forward to reading all discussions related to your thesis.

Your Good Health.

C.J.
Denton Van Zan

There is so much that appears to be getting overlooked in other topics, whether through ignorance or deliberately, including contradictions from previous topics, as far back as the old forum.

Everything, from dealing with Durnford's mindset, which is a non-argument - to his 'going cowboy' - to the tents, and the reasoning behind the firing line being so far out, which is a ridiculous defence of events regarding Pulleine's actions/deployments.

Is it honestly thought that the Zulu army was going to 'stay put' and be 'surprised' by mounted men in a valley ?

Zulu scouting was the best there was, so how could they be 'found' without any of them noticing events at the Isandlwana camp ?

It appears the 'decoy' aspect is being focussed on in the main forum, from a paper that is 27 pages in length - does the rest of it count for nothing ?

As for it being 'cluttered' or such, it was actually directed at enthusiasts, who may not be so 'wised-up' on everything else that was happening, who needed, including myself, more details.

Thank god I'm not posting on the main forum, as I'm furious.

I'm not looking for any replies to this post.

C.J.
Supplementary Paper/Booklet Details ?