rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
the zulu actor who picks up the rifle at the start of zulu
johnk

the zulu who at the start of the movie picks up a rifle and holds it over his head, he is also is the last to leave after the zulu salute to the defenders.Does anyone know if he is the same zulu actor who plays Frere's messenger to Cetswayo in Zulu Dawn ?
John Young

I can't find any reference to Ken Gampu having been in Zulu. He did star alongside Stanley Baker in the 1965 production Dingaka.

Gampu's well-known film from the same year was Cornel Wilde's Naked Prey, which had in its cast Gert van den Berg who played Adendorff in Zulu.

John Y.
Denton Van Zan

When I watch 'Zulu Dawn', I do feel this actor should have had a more prominent role, beyond what was seen of him as a messenger, perhaps as one of Durnford's men during the film and at Isandlwana.

The man had a presence, much like Henry Cele in 'Shaka', whose character should have been more involved in the action.

Unless, he was in the other scenes which had been cut from the film.

C.J.
Denton Van Zan

I meant to add that a scene along-the-lines of an Achilles versus Hector confrontation on the battlefield, between Gampu's character and the Zulu induna (shot by Pvt Storey in the film), with some effective fight choreography, could have been a memorable point in the film.

There was such an instance mentioned in an account, about an N.N.C. man and a Zulu warrior fighting hand-to-hand at the edge of the Buffalo river.

This could have been them.

C.J.
johnk

I agree, he does have a strong presence and I don't think I have seen him anywhere later in zulu dawn
the zulu actor who picks up the rifle at the start of zulu