rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
buying shields and other weapons
johnk

does anyone know any trusty and reliable sources for buying shields and iklwa
thanks
Sawubona

Do watch ebay. Sorry to say now, but some seller in Hawaii just offered something like fourteen shields--Not really terribly old, but certainly not tourist pieces either and he started them at only $99 each. They're out there, but you have to know what you're looking at (and for) as there's a lot of nonsense as well. The same goes for other hardware.
johnk

thankyou Saw, i have done some digging around since that post last year and managed through a work colleague in joburg to find some reputable suppliers working with local artisans, I should be able to pick up some nice stuff on my next visit

cheers

John
Paul Bryant-Quinn

I'm also very interested in acquiring a shield properly made in the traditional style (i.e. as opposed to buying a 19th century one - they usually look a bit manky). Any suggestions?
Sawubona

Hmm, seems the guy from Honolulu decided to offer his (30) shields again with a different approach. I guess he wasn't getting the sort of bidding he had hoped for starting them at $99 each and now is trying to sell them with the "Buy It Now" option at quite a bit higher a price. Still worth a look though perhaps for some of our dear readers, if for no other reason than to gander what a good "modern" shield can look like.
buying shields and other weapons