rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
White Chief, Black Lords by Thomas V. McClendon
AMB

All,

Just published:

A study of colonial Natal, focused on the contradictions related to indirect rule, the legacy of which continues to inform the political and social climate of post-apartheid South Africa.

White Chief, Black Lords explores the tensions and contradictions between the British colonial civilizing mission and the practice of indirect rule. While the colonial imperative was to transform colonized societies and bring them within "civilized" norms, fiscal limitations frequently resulted in ruling through indigenous authorities and customs. In this book, Thomas McClendon analyzes this deep contradiction by looking at several crises and key turning points in the early decades of colonial rule in the British colony of Natal, later part of South Africa. He focuses a keen eye on the tenure of Theophilus Shepstone as that colony's Secretary for Native affairs, examining his interactions with subject African communities. In a series of case studies, including high drama over rebellions by African "chiefs" and their followers and intense debates over the control of witchcraft, White Chief, Black Lords shows that these colonial imperatives led to a self-defeating conundrum. In the process of attempting to rule through African leaders and norms yet to discipline and transform African subjects, the colonial state inevitably was itself transformed and became, in part, an African state. McClendon concludes by spotlighting the continuing importance of these unresolved contradictions in post-apartheid South Africa. Thomas McClendon is professor of history at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas.

ISBN: 158046341X

Not yet seen, but an interesting description does make one think it may be worth adding to one's library. That said �40 is not cheap!
AMB
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Sounds interesting, but am I the only one who thinks that keeping up with all of this will reduce you to ruin and penury?!

Shocked
AMB

Paul,

I think you are right. The literature of the history relating to Natal/Zululand seems to grow enormously every year.

You could very easily accumulate a vast library!

Thankfully I don't smoke and only drink moderately (Pink Taittinger doesn't count!) and the Aston Martin is reasonably economic on a run...

AMB
Paul Bryant-Quinn

AMB

You should be so lucky. Me, I have to busk on the underground just to afford a crust ...

Wink
Sawubona

The good news is that if any of us want (or need) to pare down our libraries, we can expect to realize as much as five or ten cents on each dollar of our investment! If anyone still knows how to read at that time, that is.
AMB

Copy ordered. I'll let you know when it arrives!

AMB
AMB

Book now here. $59.80 (�37.25) from Amazon.

Hard cover, no d/j; picture of Shepstone on cover in b&w.

Academic type work, with the author being professor of history at Southwestern Uni in Georgetown, Texas.

An interesting viewpoint following Knight's words regarding Shepstone in Zulu Rising.

AMB